EASA and FAA

I have an EASA PPL and want to start the Airline career pilot program. Would I be able to start with the PPL I’ve already got or will I have to start from zero time?

Euan,

You will need to either convert your license to an FAA license, or start from zero time.

Also, you will need to be a US citizen or US permanent legal resident to take part in ATP’s program.

Chris

Chris,

Thanks for the fast reply! I was under the impression all I needed was a student visa to participate in the course. Is this not the case?

Euan

Euan,

That is not the case, my previous answer is what you will need to participate in the course.

Chris

Chris,

Sorry to bother you again! Why would I need to be a permanent resident whilst studying?

Euan

Euan,

You wouldn’t. It’s simply ATPs policy due to the way the program is constructed. The program includes all the CFI ratings which you wouldn’t be able to use if you’re not a citizen or resident. There’s no rebate or refund so you’d be paying for a fair amount of flying you don’t need. It’s also ALOT of extra paperwork that ATP chooses not to get involved in.

Adam

Adam,

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it. I guess I won’t be going to ATP anytime soon as I’m not a Permanent Resident or American Citizen!

Euan

Euan,

Those are ATP’s requirements and also US based airline’s requirement. You may be able to find a different school that will sponsor you for a visa, but you would need ro be a permanent resident to work as a pilot in the US.

Chris