Earning my PPL

Hi there,

I’m looking to get into the ATP program but since I haven’t been in college long enough to have the required 60 credit hours for the program I am looking to get my PPL at a flight school here in the metro Detroit area in Michigan where I live. I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations on flight schools around me that are acceptable to earn 80 hours flight time to be eligible for the ATP training program.

Thanks,
Cody

Cody,

You don’t say how old you are but if you’re hoping to have a career as a pilot you’re going to want a degree at some point. While I understand college isn’t for everyone you really should think about at least completing your 2yr.

Adam

Adam,

I currently am in school working towards getting an associates degree since to be a pilot you do need one. Plus it’s always a good idea to have a degree in my back pocket just in case but as of right now I don’t have the 60 credit hours yet since I’m also working full-time(going to school part-time). Also, I turned 21 over this past summer.

Cody

Cody,

You’re absolutely right. So my question is why would you stop short of your degree to go to ATP? You’d be much better served focusing on your studies, finishing your degree and the starting at ATP from the beginning. ATP’s program works well at preparing you for a career at the airlines. Why not start out on the right foot from day 1?

Adam

Cody,

I completely agree with Adam on this. Finish your degree and then focus on flight training. It is the most efficient way possible to the airlines.

Chris