Do the majors care how you get to 1500 hours?

Hello, I’m currently working on commercial and have a possible job lined up right after checkride. My question is do the majors care how you build your time? Does having CFI on your resume help you when applying to majors one day? Right now I’d prefer to not spend the $ on CFI and take the job, but if the majors like to see CFI then of course I’ll go ahead and do those ratings as well. Thanks

To add to this I know they like check airman, are those jobs at regionals competitive and what do they look for in candidates?

Aaron,

The majors will not be concerned with whether you have a CFI or not. They will be concerned with the quality of your flight time and if you have a college degree or not, but CFI does not matter much.

Chris

1 Like

Aaron,

Check airman jobs at any airline can be competitive. The company will be looking for a well respected pilot that communicates well, knows his/her information and has lots of experience. At my airline, the biggest thing seems to be having the respect of one’s peers.

Chris

2 Likes

Chris,
Thank you for that information.

Aaron,

Check airman slots are VERY competitive. First off there’s a pay bump and second everyone knows the Majors like to see it. As Chris said, respected, good communicator and obviously someone who does well in training. Beyond that they look for someone who is not just a good pilot but a good employee. Attendance, professionalism, appearance, getting along with others, following standards are all key.

Becoming a check airman is a very good example of when “just good enough” won’t cut it :wink:

Adam

2 Likes

Adam,

Thanks for the answer, I defiantly get what you’re saying and will strive to do the best I can throughout the rest of my training and career. Thanks!

On this note…

My wife was speaking to a pilot she knows (Sky West)… She got his info for me to contact, but I’d like some more input. Apparently there are more ways to get your 1500 hours other than being a CFI for ATP. In all honesty, I will certainly be a CFI if I have to, however if there are other more desirable options I would definitely explore.

A) I was wondering if you all had any information on this and how that works?
B) Does doing something like that forfeit the benefit of ATPs partnerships with the Airlines?

Daniel,

This question comes up often. Yes there are other ways to build your time and no the airlines don’t care.

1. How this works? You find another job flying. Not really sure I understand your question? Most people flight instruct because there aren’t that many other jobs out there for low time pilots. If you can find one have at it.

2. Pretty much. The airlines start recruiting ATP instructors at approximately 500hrs. That’s when you’d become eligible for the Tuition Reimbursement programs and you could sign a conditional letter of employment. The airlines know that by instructing with ATP you’ll be building hours consistently and they can monitor your progress, if you go elsewhere that might not be the case.

The caveat I always offer on this subject is it’s not simply the quantity of the hours but the quality. Getting hired these days is a no brainer. You build the 1500hrs and as long as you’ve got a clean record you will get hired. Problem is getting hired doesn’t mean a thing if you can’t get through newhire training and the Regionals are experiencing the highest failure rates ever. Why? Because many pilots view the time they need as simply a box to check. Let’s take your stall “discomfort”. If you don’t flight instruct chances are (unless you screw up for real) you’ll be done with stalls for the 1-2yrs you’ll be building time. Great right? Not if the first day you’re in the sim at a Regional and start working on stalls and are clueless. If you spent the those 1500hrs slinging gear and bags on a Lear jet sure you got a nice uniform and got to tell your friends your a jet pilot but it won’t do much for your instrument skills.

Again it’s about the quality not the quantity.

Adam

There are many ways to get to 1,500 hours. Banner towing, flying jumpers, pipeline patrol, etc all come to mind. That being said, being a CFI is the tried and true route and seems to be the most efficient.

Yes, leaving ATP would mean no tuition reimbursement, or not officially having the hiring alliances. but in today’a pilot shortage I do not see that being a big impediment to your career.

Chris

Gentlemen, as I said before, great insight. You guys have angles I just can’t see from where I am. It’s very helpful. Thank you.