Do I need to obtain a Bachelor’s degree while in ATP?

I’m 17 years old and as of next year I’ll be senior graduating class of 2021, I’ve always known that I’ll be a pilot growing up I took an intro flight when I was 14 and always had a passion for aviation my uncle worked for Honeywell as an engine engineer for years so aviation runs in the family, I’ve want to look into going to ATP once I’ve completed my PPL and getting all my ratings from there as well, when I become a regional airline pilot do I need a bachelors to get into a Major Airline such as United? Will there be time to obtain a bachelors? What should I do?

Darian,

If you visit our FAQ section (in addition to the hundreds of posts on this subject), yes, if you want to fly for a Major in the US, you’re going to need a 4yr degree. We always recommend people complete their educations first (simply because it’s easier) but we also understand everyone must do what’s best for themselves. You will definitely not be able to go to school while you’re at ATP. ATPs program is accelerated and requires a fulltime commitment. Many people do complete their degrees after they’re hired by a Regional but that too requires some hard work.

Adam

1 Like

And maybe they won’t. The question is do you want to be competitive or spend your time praying for a lucky break. That’s kind of like buying lottery tickets as a retirement plan. Sure you could win but a 401K makes alot more sense.

Adam

2 Likes

Darian,

If your desire is to work for the majors, at some point along the way you will need to obtain a four year degree. You do not need a degree for the regionals, you will for the majors. Please take a look at the FAQ section as this is covered in depth there. We will be happy to answer other questions that you think of as you explore this career path.

Chris

1 Like

Moe,

There are thousands of pilots with 5,000 flight hours, most regional pilots will have that in a few short years. The majors want to see the degree to help cut through the stacks of resumes, at some point flight time does not matter as much.

Chris

1 Like