December 2016 Schedule

In December I had 17 days off, including Christmas and New Year’s.

1. SJU-IAH
  2. IAH-LAS, LAS-EWR
  3. Off
  4. Off
  5. Off
  6. Off
  7. EWR-MEX
  8. MEX-EWR
  9. Off
  10. Off
  11. Off
  12. Off
  13. EWR-BOS, BOS-EWR, EWR-AUS
  14. AUS-EWR, EWR-MIA
  15. MIA-IAH, IAH-SJU
  16. SJU-EWR
  17. Off
  18. Off
  19. EWR-ORD, ORD-LAX
  20. LAX-ORD, ORD-PHL
  21. PHL-ORD, ORD-MSP
  22. MSP-DEN, DEN-EWR
  23. Off
  24. Off
  25. Off
  26. Off
  27. Off
  28. EWR-CUN
  29. CUN-EWR, EWR-BOS, BOS-EWR
  30. Off
  31. Off
2 Likes

Chris,

When you all bid trip packages I assume they’re called during the period of bidding - is the package an entire month’s worth of flying? In other words, do you know where you’re going for the entire month once you’re awarded something?

Eric,

At my company we receive our scheduling for the following month of the 17th of the month prior. Meaning that on January 17th I will know all of my February schedule. When I worked for ExpressJet we received our schedules about ten days earlier than that. I actually like bidding and receiving my schedule a little later in the preceding month as it enables me to handle last minute things more easily.

Chris

Chris

Chris Do you live in Newark? Or do you commute to there? If you commute can you show the days you flew to/from Newark? If you live in Newark can you describe the average commute many pilots do that do not live near their Base?

Thanks,
This is a great site.

Sonny,

I am a man of many places, sometimes I commute from Norfolk or South Bend and sometimes I spend my time in New Jersey. When I commute I would say that most trips are commutable on one end or the other, but generally not both. For example, the trip that I am on now would have required me to come in a day early, but I would be able to commute out the day I finish the trip. If you look at my schedule through the lens of a commuting pilot you could generally add one day of commuting to each trip.

Commuting typically involves checking the flights a few days out, then keeping a careful eye on them as your commuting day approaches. If the weather is good and the flights have seats then I usually plan to arrive in EWR at least six hours prior to when I am going to start work, if not more. I never leave myself one flight, I always have a backup. If the weather is forecast to be bad than sometimes I have to leave a full day early to account for that.

I would strongly advise you to move to wherever you are based, you will have so much more time at home and so much less stress. That being said, many pilots feel that it is worth it to be able to live where they chose.

Chris

How long do you arrive at the airport before your first flight of the day?

Usually about two hours for an international flight and one hour for a domestic flight.

Same here except 2 hrs for any international or transpacific flight, 1 hr for interisland.

Adam

Where in seniority are you? Is this a relatively ‘senior’ schedule at your airline?

Pete,

I am in the top 20% of First Officers on the 737 in EWR. I would say that yes, this is a pretty senior schedule.

Chris

Chris,

Being in the top 20% on the 737 at EWR what other aircraft could you hold a line on and which bases? I know you enjoy the 737 because of the routes and you’ve been on the 756 before. Also, when do you expect to upgrade to CA or could you already but you choose not to because you’d be on reserve for awhile?

Thanks!