Current and Former Students, Please Check In

Amanda,

That is great news! Please keep us up to date as you go through the program.

Chris

1 Like

Hi everyone.

I am getting ready to start my journey very soon. My start date is this upcoming Monday. I was a police officer for 3 years prior to beginning this new chapter and hope it helps deal with at least part of the stress that comes with training and certain flying situations.

My dad had his PPL wayyyyyyyy back in the late 70’s / early 80’s which partly inspired me to jump to this career. Although I am glad things have changed since his training days (his first solo was with 4 hours of flight time :dizzy_face:).

I’m going into training with the 6 required FAA written tests completed and I’m ready to hit the ground running next week.

I have been lurking around this forum for a couple months and appreciate all the helpful insight from Chris, Adam, and Tory. You guys have helped open my eyes to many things to look forward to. Keep up the good work!

1 Like

Hey Ryan,

All 6 writtens completed before your start date? Impressive. You will do
well. I can tell. Thank you for the kind words.

Tory

Very nice job Ryan! Mad kudos!

As tory said I’m certain you’ll do well. Keep us posted and have fun!

Adam

Ryan,

I am glad to hear that you have all of the writtens complete, that will be a huge help for you.

Thank you for your kind words and please keep up with us as you progress through the program.

Also, while the law enforcement chapter of your life is closing, thank you for all that you did to help keep us, the public, safe. We can’t really talk about it on this forum, but once you are an airline pilot I strongly encourage you to look into the FFDO program.

Best of luck in the program and stay in touch.

Chris

1 Like

Just a quick update from here in CLT, I passed my instrument ride yesterday evening. I’m right on schedule even with some bad weather the last few weeks and up to 165 hours TT. Nothing but a very positive experience with everyone at our location and I’m really enjoying my time and moving fast!

Matt

3 Likes

Matt,

Awesome news! Congratulations and thanks for the update.

Chris

Matt,

That’s what we like to hear! Glad everything is going so well for you.

Tory

I am excited to start at the PAE location this upcoming Monday, March 5th. This has been my dream since I was 6, I am 24 now. Always thought this was far beyond reach but I am extremely excited that the Start line is a few days away! Reading a lot of the questions and answers on this forum has been very helpful and has gotten me even more excited! I have always been into fast things! Super cars(huge car fanatic) are one thing but aircraft is a whole other level. I can tell it won’t be easy but I am thrilled to excel and share the adventure with everyone else here who shares this passion!
My best to you all!
Please let me know if you have any tips of any kind that might be helpful, I’d appreciate it.

1 Like

Thania,

That is great news that you have your start date scheduled. As your date is only a few days away, my best advice is to relax for a bit and then get ready to do whatever your instructors ask of you. They have been down the same path as you and know how to best prepare you.

Good luck in the program and thanks for letting us know you are starting.

Chris

1 Like

I got my ATP through the Dallas based school about 10 years ago. At 52 years old, I have been flying for half of my life. Now I have about 3200 hours with over half of that in MEL and 450 hours in a light twin turbojet single pilot. I should have my CFII shortly. I have managed a law enforcement aviation unit for 10 years. I have a terminal degree (J.D.) and enjoy thinking about flying for the airlines for the limited time I can. Any suggestions on starting with the airlines would be appreciated.

Rock,

It sounds like you’re set. As long as you meet the requirements per 61.159, are current with a current medical, start applying.

Anything specific you need help with?

Tory

Tory,

Are there particular carriers you would suggest given my experience and age?

I live along the gulf coast but I have two kids in college in Memphis.

Thanks,

Rock

Rock,

Take a look here (https://pilotjobs.atpflightschool.com/airline-domiciles/), see’s who’s convenient and start applying.

Adam

Rock,

Take a look at the FAQ section as that covers what your career potential will be in-depth. Beyond that, you will most likely be able to get hired at a regional, but it might be tough to get to a major. Just keep that in mind as you are thinking about making the jump.

Chris

I’m going to throw in another quick update on my progress so far. I passed my instrument check ride today, perfectly on schedule with my program outline. I actually originally had it scheduled for last Tuesday, but we had to delay because of weather. But I’m happy to be finished with that rating, right on schedule, and ready to start my Crew eval then on to Crew X/C!

1 Like

Kyle,

That is awesome! Congratulations! Thanks for the update.

Chris

How do you like MQY? Thinking of starting there as well.

I’ve had zero complaints so far since since I started in January. Everyone is super nice & it’s a very laid back atmosphere. It’s also growing like crazy. I remember when I toured it a few years back there were only 3 students & 2 airplanes. Now there’s 35-40 students & 8-10 airplanes.

The only thing that I don’t like is that I’m already on my 3rd instructor. One left for a better paying CFI job & the other left for a low time cargo job. I knew that was a possibility going in though so it’s not a big deal.

Thanks for the info. I did my PPL over at wings across the ramp. I’ll be starting ATP in September. May see you around.