CPL at 43 yrs

Hi
Flying is been a passion since early day but unfortunately money was a big issue.
today after working for 18 long years in media, i saved lil money that can get me to do CPL from florida.
i am seriously thinking this as a second career. I am from India and planning to do my CPL from USA- florida and then convert my FAA to DGCA india.
Many of my friends have put me down saying you are too old to learn flying as your grasping of subject would be too slow and you cant finish it in 6-7 months.
please advice me as i am very keen to do my CPL also let me know how my career would span in next few years if i get a job with indian carriers like indigo or jet airways
looking forward to hear from group
thank you
best
shailesh

Shailesh,

I have to be honest, I’m not that familiar with the Indian airlines but I did just make a quick visit to both IndiGo and Jet Airways career websites. The good news is both are hiring. The bad news from what I can see is they have pretty low age limits for low-time pilots (35-40) unless you have both a Type rating AND time in the Type (ie, A320 Type w/2,000hrs flight time). I don’t know if there are other smaller Regional type airlines in India but I recommend you do some searching there or other countries you might be able to work. Unfortunately India (unlike the US) seems to not favor second career older pilots.

Adam

Thanks a ton adam for your quick response
you are right in saying about indian carriers dont prefer second career pilots and getting job is very important but the most significant doubt in my mind if it is too late to learn flying? my friends tell me that it would be difficult since your body is less responsive at 43 yrs
pls advice
thanks

Shailesh,

To that I’d say your friends are wrong. While obviously everyone is different, I’m 53 and while I’m sure I may be a half step slower than I was in my 20s and 30s, my work ethic and focus haven’t failed me yet and I had no issues learning a completely different airplane 1.5yrs ago. Many pilots in the US don’t start training till their 40s and they do fine.

Again my concern is not you getting your license, it’s what will you do after.

Adam

Thanks Adam
while thats a big concern of mine also :slight_smile: but yes will do my homework before starting my flying course.
thank you for saying my friends are wrong and trust will prove them wrong in coming months
cheers
shailesh