Complete ATP Preparation Checklist?

I’ve been researching and comparing flight schools and training offerings for a few months, and I’ve decided that I am going to go to ATP in Denver. Similar to the “Steps to Enrollment” page, I’m looking to find or compile a checklist of things I should do in preparation for arriving on-site in Denver. I see lots of things on the ATP website that I might want to get done before I enroll, or between enrolling and starting, and it looks like nothing really has a specific order. I’m thinking, “You’ve decided on ATP. Now what?” First this, then this, then this, before this. These three can happen in any order but all three should be done before X, Y, or Z. You need this X months before your start date, and this Y months before, and so on.

I’m thinking of things like:

1. How far ahead of my desired start time should I actually enroll and pay to secure my date?
  2. When should I apply for financing if I need it?
  3. How much time should I allot for studying/completing the FAA written exams if I want to complete them prior to the program?

…and much more. I am kind of paranoid that I will miss something and might arrive underprepared. I just want to be organized and prepared before I start this process and months down the road learn I skipped something that could delay me or isn’t built into the time I’ve allotted in Denver.

Jordan,

Here is a link to ATP’s preparation checklist page. It provides all the information you will need prior to your start date.

https://atpflightschool.com/faqs/bring/items_for_acpp.html

1. The recommendation is at least 6 months, which should give you adequate time to prepare, study, and take your written exams.

2. You need to apply for financing right now before you pay any deposit. Once your financing is approved, you’ll be able to secure a start date.

3. The written exams are simply exercises in memorization. Study time varies from person to person so it all depends on how well you retain information. For me, I study for an hour, followed by a quick break. Pace yourself and you’ll be fine.

If your concerned about missing something, contact admissions and they will be more than willing to help you out.

Thomas

Now that I’ve decided on ATP and I’ve taken the online flight intro module, I should apply for financing and schedule my intro flight (ATP will sponsor the flight if you’ve already gotten your financing, right?). Do I need my FAA First Class Medical Certificate before I go on the intro flight?

After visiting an ATP location for my intro flight, I can place my deposit to reserve a spot at my training center of choice. You said it is recommended that I have all of this done six months prior to my ideal start date, but what kind of pressure would I be looking at if I went to schedule this for an October start? That is only about two and a half months away.

In those two and a half months, would I have enough time to complete the pre-arrival study? Perhaps not all the written exams, but perhaps a few? How much would I be set back if I arrive without all of the written exams done prior?

You know what’s great… i had some of the same questions and simply called up ATP. The coordinator was quite helpful and answer several right off the bat.

You don’t need your first class medical to put down the deposit, but they will HIGHLY recommended it since the deposit is non-refundable. You need the medical before your first day of class.

I think you will have plenty of time with an October start date (assuming they still have those slots available). You might not get all the writtens done, but that is by no means the end of the world. I will say this though, if October is your time frame, get serious now.

Chris