Commuting to my base

Hello,
I’m a senior in high school and I have known since my first airline flight as a first grader that flying is my passion. I am considering a career at the airlines, but I am concerned about my ability to live where I want while my base is several states away. Looking for any insight to how this works. Thanks in advance.

Luke,

You’ve got a long way to go before you need to worry about bases but the short answer is you can literally live ANYWHERE you like, anywhere. BUT, it’s entirely up to you to get to work. I know pilots who commute from Europe, Asia and Australia. Do they like it? No. Do they recommend it? Definitely not but it can be done.

As to the hows again it’s entirely on you. While you’ll have the ability to jumpseat on virtually every airline YOU have to check the schedules, the passenger loads and the weather and plan accordingly. Sometimes it’s not terrible other times it can and will be a nightmare. Regardless commuting is a choice so don’t expect any sympathy.

Adam

Thanks
I don’t expect any sympathy. Just want to know it can be done.

You might not be now but when the time comes and it’s Christmas, a blizzard and all the flights have canceled you might :wink:

Adam

say if you commute a day before is your hotel paid by you or the airline? I am assuming its out of your own pocketbook.

Luke,

It is called “commuting”. I have been doing it for years, from Norfolk to Newark. It isn’t fun and it takes some of your personal time away from you, but it will enable you to live where you want to. That being said, I would not recommend doing it.

Chris

The hotel would almost always be paid for by the pilot. A few regionals have commuting clauses, but that is the exception.

Chris,

I’ve seen many posts from you about commuting before but how much time would you say that 1/3 or 1/2 day here and there for commuting add up to over the course of the month on top of your trip days?

Caleb

Caleb,

At a minimum my commute adds half a day to each trip. At the worst it is a full day. So I figure that I loose several days per month to commuting.

Chris

Chris,
You said you didn’t recommend commuting but you do. Can you can you explain why you still do it. I am assuming there still has to be enough positives to out weigh the negatives.
Luke

Luke,

Sure. I am divorced and my kids live in Norfolk, hence the commute. If I wasn’t attached to Norfolk, I would absolutely live and work near Chicago.

Chris

Thank you