College or flight school

Been in college for a year on an aeronautical science degree, lately I’ve been thinking on dropping out and go straight into flight school to get my ppl, I’m 19 years old and a little bit confused

Jeremy,

Dropping out, getting your PPL and then what? Spend your life flying around the pattern and taking your friends for joy rides?

I recommend a few things. First visit our FAQ section (or ATPs website) where we outline the process of becoming a pilot.

Second you should at least think about completing 2yrs of school before dropping out. The Majors want a 4yr degree and if you’re at least half way there getting the rest is considerably easier.

Third, and possible most important if you’ve never flown a small plane you need to check that box before you ever consider dropping out. Many people believe they want to fly but if you haven’t been up you really don’t know.

Adam

Jeremy,

I would recommend against just straight dropping out of college. The majors will want to see a degree one way or the other, so you might as well get the two years finished now.

Getting a PPL will not do you much good, you need a lot more than that to earn money as a pilot. Take a look at the FAQ section as it lays out the process nicely.

I am curious, what is confusing you? Perhaps we can help.

Chris

I still need 3 more years in college, and I meant dropping out and getting all the licenses for a commercial pilot

Jeremy,

I don’t recommend dropping out. Completing college shows that you can follow through with your commitments.

Besides needing to finish 3 more years, what is confusing about this decision to you? Are you confused or do you have the flying bug and you are just not motivated to finish your aeronautical science degree? You’re going to need a degree anyway. If you don’t like the one you’re in, change it.

Tory

I’m 17 and just finished high school should i do colledge or flight school

Jeremy,

Please see the above conversation and visit our FAQ section but the short answer is we always encourage college first.

Adam