College flight trainning

In college, do students do flight training during or after school? Do the majority of colleges do it during school for example places like Embry Riddle,Ohio state, and Purdue University?

Alex,

None of the mentors here went to college flight training programs, so I am taking a bit of a guess. Also, I am not sure exactly what you mean by “during or after school”. Can you clarify that?

Chris

Oh sorry about not being clear, I meant if they do it after school like in high school drivers ED most places do driving lessons after school hours.

Alex,

College classes are a little different that high school classes. I would guess that the flying lessons are mixed in throughout the day and other class schedules, but for a definitive answer you would need to check with the universities themselves.

Chris

Alex,

As Chris mentioned college classes are not like high school (where you are there from say 8-3:30). In college you have specific classes at specific times and days of the week. You are free to do what you want between classes. Way back when I was at the flight school for the University of Nebraska Omaha I would fly when I didn’t have class or work. So that could mean I went to class from say 8-9:30 am. Then went to the airport and flew from 10 to 12, had lunch and went to another class from 3:30 to 5 pm. Other days I might fly from 6-8 pm or weekends, or early morning, or over lunch. It really just depended on my class and work schedule. Like Chris said though I think you really need to check directly with each university to see how they schedule it as I’m sure they are not all exactly alike.

Thank you, this really helps me out a lot.

Alex,

At Embry Riddle, flight students are assigned flight blocks either on Monday Wednesday Friday or Tuesday Thursday Saturday. Flight blocks are set in stone at the beginning of the semester and can be at any four-hour segmented time block from 6am-midnight. For example, my commercial multi flight block is MWF 1:05-4:59 for the entire semester and during those days I will either have an oral, sim, or flight scheduled. During the summer, flight blocks are 6 days/week and most people can take advantage of that by finishing an entire certificate or rating in 2 months. Hope that clarifies a little.

Michael

I have to tell you this mentality of setting flight blocks on set days and times, and then setting them in stone, is absurd to me. This allows for zero flexibility, which is something you really need with flight training. When I was a student we once had several days of really bad storms, it would have affected set blocks like this, but as soon as the storm passed, my instructor called me and an hour later we were up in the air, accomplishing our objectives. To this day, that is still one of my favorite flying memories.

1 Like

Is it even possible to work while enrolled in A flight school or aviation college? I don’t believe employers would really want to hire somebody with limited hours and a schedule that is not flexible , the only option I see that may make that possible is to go to school part time or so.

Alex,

I cannot speak to aviation colleges, but it is absolutely not possible to work while enrolled in ATP. The program is already condensed as it is, you will need every spare minute for studying.

There are only 3 daytime flight blocks with 60 aircraft and 900 students there could be 3 students per block per plane so you may only actually be able to fly once a week looking purely at the numbers.

1 Like