Changing Locations In The Middle of Training

Hi all,

I’ve recently passed my PPL checkride and I’m interested in going to ATP for the rest of my ratings (I already have 80+ hours). However, I will most likely be moving from NorCal to SoCal at the end of June. Is changing locations allowed in the middle of the program? My original plan was to finish my PPL a couple months ago and then hopefully finish ATP before moving, but several delays pushed me back.

Tristan,

You will need to speak with the admissions department on this for the final answer, but I would highly recommend against it. Flight training is very time intensive and stressful, trying to move while in training is a really bad idea as it will be a major distraction. I would recommend completing the move either before, or after, your training.

Chris

Tristan,

As Chris said you’d have to talk with admin but he also makes a great point about moving. Personally I believe moving is one of the most stressful experiences in life and I would not even consider attempting it during training unless perhaps you have a significant other who’s going to handle the whole thing. Regardless I’d still give it some serious thought.

Adam

Tristan,

Changing training centers is dealt with on a case by case basis. If you know the move will happen soon, I’d either postpone the move or the training.

Tory

Similar question… we have family that live near several of the ATP training locations. Our daughter (the pilot in training), could live with them during her training. Ideally, she would live with each one for only ~ 3 months each. Is changing training locations allowed?

Karen,

Changing locations is permitted but not recommended, (further once happens, twice is a bit much) but it’s really a matter of what phase of the program she’s in. If say she just completed her PPL/Instrument that probably wouldn’t be an issue but midway would. While ATP strives for standardization between locations consistency is key and it’s best to stay put. The other issue I see is simply the logistics and comfort of the move. Moving can be a hassle and what if one of the living situations isn’t conducive to her training? Finally when the time comes your daughter will be reserving a space and a class date at a specific location. Not every location has open slots or available instructors at all times. What if the second or third location was full?

While things can happen I don’t believe planning on making 2 moves during her training is a good idea.

Adam

Karen,

No, that will not be possible. Changing locations that often would not be conducive to good training, now would it work with the time frame of the program.

Chris

Greetings everyone, I’m also curious about this information. The situation I am currently in is that the ATP location (Washington State) I am currently located does not offer schooling from zero experience and I would have to apply once I’ve received my PPL to continue the rest of my training here. I do have family located in Las Vegas that I could stay with but not for the entirety of my training (I am aware of the housing option that ATP offers but unfortunately it does not work for me financially). I was wondering, would it be possible if I could get my PPL at the Las Vegas location and once that’s complete continue the rest of my training at the Washington location? I greatly appreciate any help that could be offered, thank you so much for your time!

Jarvie,

I’d talk to the admissions department about that request. Theoretically I could see it being possible, however the discontinuity in your training is not ideal.

Hannah

Jarvie,

@Michelle can provide some more information on this, but to our knowledge, transferring is not an option most of the times. Taking breaks during training is not recommended nor good practice for your growth in training. ATP built a successful program that thousands have graduated from by continuously practicing safe, consistent and proficient training. When you get to the airlines, you can’t just say, “I need a week from training to go do XYZ.”

This is a reason we recommend starting the program at the location that is most convenient for you.

Brady

Hey Jarvie, Admissions Coordinator here!

Changing locations is permitted but not recommended, all transfers are not guaranteed as they are requests that could be approved or denied. We base these on availability in the training centers and want to make sure your current phase is completed.

As stated by Adam, “ATP strives for standardization between locations consistency is key and it’s best to stay put.” Admissions will highly recommend starting and finishing in the same location, to ensure a larger success and no distractions in the program.
As an alternative, you can attend a mom and pop shop and work on your PPL in WA, once that is completed you can enroll into the Seattle-Tacoma training center for Credit Private.

Feel free to give us a call at your convenience so that we may better assist you. ATP Admissions is available M-F 8am-7pm EST and our phone number is 904-595-7950.

Michelle

Oh ok I see thank you for the clarification. I’ll probably try and figure out a way to do all the training at one location but if I can’t then it’s good to know that it is possible, but thank you everyone for the response and suggestions I really appreciate it.

Jarvie,

I just learned that the Seattle-Paine Field location will be permanently closing in the next few months.

Chris

Is it the weather or just an admin decision?

I believe this decision was heavily affected by the weather in the area.

That is correct, It ultimately came down to the weather.
We want to make sure our students have a fair advantage and equal oportunities.