Changing Careers And Starting Again

Hello guys,

I just wanted to give you an update.
As you’re aware of what’s going on around the US, you can imagine doing law enforcement work right now doesn’t look so appealing anymore.
I’ve come up with different plans and scenarios to pursue my dream, including how to pay for it in case I can’t get a loan.
The downside is that I’ll have to wait a bit longer, my goal was to start sometime next year but maybe I’ll have to wait to beginning of 2022.
My goal is to work my butt off for a year or so and save as much as I can to cover expenses for the 9 months of the career pilot program.
My next concern was the salary as a CFI or if there’s any other options after graduating ATP.
I’m thinking that it looks possible to make at least $2,000 a month as an ATP CFI, which in my case it wouldn’t be too bad.
Then the worst case scenario I guess find another place to instruct maybe?
If things workout in the best case scenario maybe I can start ATP late next year.
That’s all for now and everybody stay safe.

Randy

Randy,

You definitely need to into this with a level of comfort financially. That said I wouldn’t wait any longer than necessary.

Adam

1 Like

Randy,

I agree with Adam that you want to start your training as soon as possible. Seniority is everything in the airlines, it determines everything from when you can upgrade to captain, to hat airplane you fly and even your monthly schedules. Losing a year in seniority can have a huge impact on your career.

As an aside, I for one am very grateful for the law enforcement personnel in this country. Thank you for what you do to keep all of us safe.

Chris

1 Like

Thank you Adam and Chris for your replies.
I’m just working things out financially so I can start with the right foot but my goal is still 2021.
Maybe if somehow me and my wife can make triple what we make now then maybe before :sweat_smile:

I appreciate your words Chris.

Hello guys!
I’ve just read this thread and what you guys have been discussing. I am literally in this same scenario, I am 33 years old, currently a state law enforcement officer with SC, have two children and I looking to make a career change. I’ve always wanted to fly and I think this is the path I want to take. I have just started researching all the requirements and steps I need to take. I have just requested info and am looking at scheduling the demo. I did see you guys discussing the requirements of a 4 year degree, is this a requirement to get employed? I was looking at specifically the airline sponsored pilot training and it looks as if I can start earning money to support my family in the instruct phase but I really need to know an approximate income if that’s the case. I have a decent nest egg saved up that I hope to use to support my family during the transition but it’s obvious that I need to be able to start earning income asap. Any info what it was like for you guys in your first 5 years would also be great. What kind of time did you guys stay away from home and how often did you guys get home?
Thanks for everything in advance!

Cody,

Welcome to the forums. Please take a moment to look at the FAQ section as many of your questions are answered in depth there.

The short answer to the college degree question is that you do not need one for the regional airlines and you will need one to be hired at the majors.

Take a look at the “Schedules” section as it will give you a very good idea of what our monthly schedules look like. Pilots can generally plan on 12-16 days off per month. I would strongly recommend moving to where you are based as commuting will set you up for more unnecessary time on the road.

Take a look at the FAQ section and then let us know what further questions you may have.

Chris