CFI training delay?

Hello, I just had a chance to talk to some of the current ATP students and they said that the CFI portion of the training is currently being postponed (3-5 months). If that’s the case, how is it going to work for the students? In case they won’t be flying during that time while waiting for CFI training, they will be losing their valuable pilot’s skills which they recently acquired and paid so much $ for it… in addition, the delay will also affect the interest rate for those who finance their training… maybe I am mistaking here, but I would like some clarification on this please, since I am currently waiting to start my training in 2 months? Thank you

John,

I find this incredibly difficult to believe. I will look into this and followup with you, probably on Monday.

Chris

Thank you Sir, I hope that’s not the case, so we all be on the same page.

i hope not as well

John,

A one month delay I would believe, but 3-5 months sounds exaggerated.

Tory

John,

I spoke with ATP administration ans they said these are no delays at all for starting CFI school. This is what they said:

Once the student has completed his COMM ME checkride, our CFI School Coordinator will reach out to him to schedule a CFI class date. We run CFI Classes every two weeks and he will typically be slated for a class date that is no more than a week after he has completed his COMM SE. When he gets to CFI School, he can expect 2 weeks of ground school plus roughly about 2 weeks of flying (they get 15 hours of multi-engine time in that phase). From that point, he will be scheduled a checkride and completed that phase of training in no more than 6 weeks.

He can expect another 2-3 week to complete his add-ons. So, in total, he might be looking at 2 months to complete the entire CFI portion of training.

Chris

2 Likes

Chris,

First of, thank you for your genuine interest to assist people here on this forum by answering all related questions. That’s a great news, and I appreciate your time and efforts of doing research on the topic and responding in a timely manner. The information you provided just clarified all uncertainty that I had based on what I was told… I am excited to move on in the process, and greatly I appreciate your assistance. Have a great day!

John,

Anytime and thank you for the kind words. Let us know how else we can help.

Chris

Chris, question, to complete the CFI totally you said roughly 2 months. Will that be two months away at the cfi location or is some of that time back at your normal location?

The MEI training/check ride is 3-4 weeks. The CFI add ons are an additional 4-6 weeks (ballpark figure). Some students stay at the CFI location to finish up their add ons. Some return to their base. That decision is typically influenced by examiner availability/pass rate.

1 Like

Chris does ATP pick up the lodging during those 2-2.5 months at CFI school?

Yep, they sure do.

Don,

Yes, and airfare to and from (if required). If required, also a rental car.

Tory

Thanks guys. I very much appreciate you three mentors for your quick response. And your patience.

Anytime. Let us know how else we can help.

Hi John,

Let me give you a perspective as someone who recently went through the Program. There is some truth to what you said but it is it not anything ATP has control over. The CFI school training it self is the duration that Chris has mentioned. The delay comes from the fact that your initial CFI checkride, unlike the other checkrides, has to be scheduled by the FAA FSDO. Due to limited number of examiners available for initial MEI checkrides and depending on how effiecient the FSDO is this could take a long time.This varies per location and ATP does try to send students to areas with more examiner availability. For example I have friends who went to Vegas and in 3 Weeks had their MEI. I also have friends who went to Vegas and took 3 months to get their initial. I know ATP is working on making this more streamlined but most of the variables are out of their control

1 Like

Hi All,

Kevin is right on the money. I just finished with ATP on Thursday. Got stuck in the mei loop for 2 months in Mesa. I was at the Scottsdale
Location and they put me up in the housing because the drive was over an hour. It has everything to do wth the FSDO and less on ATP. They do need more 2 year instructors but the delays are with examiners and availability. You will get your checkride date and examiner hopefully a few weeks ahead of tome, I had a week and a half to fly 15 hours, spin training and a mock oral and prepare for an examiner no one had ever heard of. The process is a demoralizing by remember everyone is stuck in it so make the best of the time you have, make killer lesson plans and if you are confused on a particular topic spend the time to master it. Good luck!

Thank you Kevin for the input, I appreciate it. Congratulations on your accomplishments! I am scheduled to start the program soon, feeling excited and a bit nervous at the same time. I think that It’s a tough situation for the ATP students who have completed everything and got stuck at the very end of the instructing phase… I would expect ATP and FAA to cooperate in that aspect to allow smoother transition for the students. In fact this situation may become a stumbling block for some upcoming students… sometimes I have to battle the debate and question myself if it’s really a good path to take since I am paying so much $, investing time and efforts and then there is a delay and uncertainty of how it’s goimg to go … hope that ATP will improve this and come up with some reasonable solutions. Thanks again and stay safe Sir!

As someone who gets to deal with the FAA in my current line of work, I don’t hinge a lot of my expectations on them coming up with a collaborative solution to this scheduling issue for ATPs sake. However, I do think that ATP may respond reactively (if the “backup” starts reflecting negatively on the school) by shifting the load of CFI trainees to locations with greater examiner availability. Remember, the FAA motto is “We aren’t happy until you aren’t happy” (it’s a joke-for all those with an atrophied sense of humor).

ATP has been very active in shifting students to locations with lighter loads. They also extended the length of the program because of this, but the FAA still seems to have backlogs.