CFI job with ATP

Completed all my ratings at ATP with my MEI rating but was denied the flight instructor job because of three checkride failures. Just to clarify, I’m not shifting the blame here and admit that those three failures were my fault. My frustration is with the fact that the reason for choosing ATP over other flight schools was the guaranteed CFI job. As I was nearing the completion of my training, ATP began adding on more stipulations to be eligible for a job as a CFI (no more than 2 failures, finishing within 120% of the program, having an MEI rating).
Throughout my training, my classmates stopped at their comm multi cert, with many of whom having more than 2 checkride failures, and were given a job with ATP. I don’t understand why ATP isn’t willing to consider each person on a case by case basis.

Michael,

Congratulations on completing the program. That is an amazing accomplishment. I don’t know what it was like for you, but for me completing ATP’s program was one of the hardest things I had ever done.

However, I sense that your frustration with the recent changes to the “guaranteed” CFI position has skewed your perspective?

You may have (or may not have by the sound of this post) noticed that when you signed up for the program the economy was stronger than ever. As you were nearing the completion of your training the entire world has been suffering unprecedented losses from COVID-19. Among the many negative affects of this pandemic, the negative economic affects that the pandemic has had on the global economy has forced many business to shut down, file for bankruptcy, downsize, etc…

Thankfully, as a flight school, an essential business, ATP was allowed to remain open for business. As a result, you, and your peers, were able to complete your training largely undisturbed by the wake of the pandemic while, just in the US, 1/4 of Americans filed for unemployment and over 100k people have died from C-19.

And now that you’ve emerged from ATP-Land, you have completely forgotten that despite the fact that we can reuse rocket boosters that launch humans to space, we are also specks of dust in this vast universe which we do not have any control over.

ATP didn’t want to make the decisions they made, but they had to in order to survive, so you could complete the program.

I know that the conditions that you were promised when you signed up have changed and it is disappointing for not just you, but everyone who didn’t get the offer. But you have to step back and take a look at what has happened, what is happening.

If you can’t understand why ATP isn’t willing to consider each person on a case by case basis in light of everything else going on, I would advise you to try harder.

Be proud of yourself for what you have accomplished and be thankful that ATP helped you get there. Maintain a good relationship with ATP. Please don’t be bitter. They’re doing the best they can.

During this economic downturn, ratings matter. If you aspire to fly for the airlines I encourage you not to give up. ATP Alumni receive a discount on the ATP-CTP course if done through ATP. The ATP Alumni FB group also shares new job opportunities with members daily.

Do whatever you have to do to continue moving towards your goals. The economy will bounce back. Airlines will start hiring again. ATP will need more instructors. Who knows? They may need you someday. If you’ve remained in good standing with them, you may have an opportunity to work for them. Or you may have found your own path by then.

Respectfully,

Tory

2 Likes

Michael,

It’s unfortunate things didn’t work out as you planned. That said the more than 2 checkride busts is nothing new. ATP does consider students on an individual basis but just with everything else in this industry demand can and does raise and lower the bar.

Adam