CFI and Regional location worries

Hello all,

I’ve been lurking here for a few months. I’m interested in going to ATP Ft. Lauderdale in 2018. I’m waiting to pay down my card balances to bump my score before I apply for aid. My concern is, being 42 y/o with 2 kids still in grade school, is being able to get the guaranteed CFI job at the Ft. Lauderdale location. Then after that, get a job with a regional at either FTL, PBI, or MIA. Later on in life (when the kids are in college) Id have no problem bidding to move around. I just cant at the moment. So, the question is, what are the odds of getting a spot at these locations?

Ralph,

Unfortunately it’s impossible to predict and staffing changes from location to location on a regular basis. Depending on when you start and finish the odds could range from excellent to almost zero and anything in between. Your best bet at 42 is to get started soon and investigate other flight schools in your area (or other low-time flying jobs) who might be hiring in the future. Obviously if you can get a workable location with ATP that would be ideal but if not you should have a Plan B, C, D…

Adam

To add, when it is time to choose a regional, the odds that you will be
based in FTL, PBI, and MIA are also impossible to predict. However, you
could commute to whichever base you are assigned.

Tory

To my knowledge, there are very few, if any regionals, that have bases in south Florida. Also, commuting out of there can be very difficult due to the high volume of traffic and the large number of other pilots that commute out of the area.

Thanks for the replies.