CBD and the Airlines

So, there has been a lot of hype about the (potential) benefits of CBD, as it helps in relieving pain and anxiety while at the same time increasing focus and enhancing experiences… While this will probably be given the trope of “consult your medical provider” I’m wondering if there are pilots who use this, and if so, how is it treated or viewed in aviation circles? There are no ingredients that get you “high” in it, but if it shows up on a drug test…are your wings clipped?

1 Like

Duke,

CBD is all the rage but if you get random tested and you come up positive you will not be going flying today or any time soon. Further you can plan on spending some quality time with your local substance abuse counselors. Good times.

I was recently at a National Union meeting with the aeromedical folks were asked the question. The official position is until they can somehow improve the testing to completely differentiate what you used and how pilots should stay away.

Adam

Duke,

You can forget about ever using CBD while you are an airline pilot. Check out this article for more information:

Chris

1 Like

Thats a very good article Chris, thank you. I work in a business complex and one of the suites here is a counseling/rehab center. I had to bring some mail over there and got talking about my intentions to go to flight school. “You wouldn’t believe how many pilots come here for alcoholism…and how many claim they’ve drank before flying” the receptionist said. That naturally segwayed into the marijuana (now legal in MI and the uses of CBD.

Duke,

It’s really very simple. Alcohol is legal in all 50 states, driving under the influence is not. Same goes for flying.

Adam

What part of Michigan do you like in? I am near Cassopolis, in the southwest corner of the state.

Muskegon…west coast - KMKG is basically in my back yard…I actually flew down to Three Rivers about a month ago with my buddy whose an instructor to pick up a student of his…poor kid flew down there to pick up an examiner for a check ride and the plane broke