Cargo vs Passenger

Hello, I am 24 years old and currently live in Minnesota.
I am incredibly interested in becoming a pilot and hope to begin training in a few months once I get my ducks in a row so to speak. I am torn between interest in flying passengers or cargo. I understand that as I get started and gain experience the decision on witch direction to go will make more sense but I’d like to know pros and cons comparing the two. Quality of life, hours, difference in crews and such. End game hopes would be Major carriers such as American Airlines, Delta or for cargo UPS, Fed Ex or similar airlines.
Thanks in advance.

Luke

Luke,

You are seriously putting the cart, not just before the horse, your horse hasn’t even been born yet. Truth be told if you’re talking Major carriers it’s really not that different. As with everything at the airlines, your seniority will determine your quality of life. Low seniority, lower pay and lousy schedule, higher seniority they both get better. Biggest difference is do you like say “hi” passengers and FAs or would you rather be left alone.

The good news is even if you started Monday, you’re at least 6-7years away from having to make that decision. More important it may not even be yours to make. You apply to FedEx, Delta, UPS and AA and you see who (if any) give you an interview. Makes the decision that much easier.

Adam

Luke,

I do not believe that any of the mentors on this forum have had direct exposure to the cargo airlines. However, we are part of the airline industry in general and thus have some indirect knowledge about cargo flying jobs.

Yes, the largest emphasis in the airline industry in on flying for passenger airlines. At the minor league level a RJ job is a lot better than flying cargo by yourself in a propeller airplane in the middle of the night. At the major level the cargo jobs like UPS and FedEx are great jobs that any pilot would be thrilled to land. In fact, UPS and Fedex are some of the highest paid pilot positions out there. As such, the competition for them can be tough, but plenty of people get hired there. Cargo pilot of any level do fly strange hours, but airline pilots can too.

I would recommend setting out with the intentions of being a pilot in general and then you can focus on trying to get a cargo job. You might find after a few years of flying RJs that you really like the airlines, or you might focus your career goals on cargo. Both avenues provide great job opportunities.

I will take flying people any day. I start and end my work day in a terminal, not a cargo ramp. I have Flight Attendants that cook my meals and there is a certain prestige that comes with being an airline pilot. That being said, UPS and FedEx are darn good jobs if you can get them.

Chris

1 Like