Cargo Pilot

What are the requirements for being a cargo pilot for someone like UPS? From what I’ve been reading it’s more competitive then going into a major, or just as competitive. I’m just looking at all options and trying to decide what I would want to do if I get options when the time comes. Do any of you know anybody that went cargo instead of major airline? If so what has their experience been like?

Joseph,

UPS, FedEx and Atlas are all 121 operators which means the requirements are the same as for any airline. For many years their pay was higher than most of the Majors so it was more difficult to get hired simply because of the demand for positions. In recent years salaries have come up so but they still require less pilots since they have different rest rules so positions are still a little more difficult but not by much (I know a SkyWest Capt who didn’t get hired at Hawaiian but did at FedEx). Not sure what you mean by their experience? You’re flying boxes rather than people. There are pros and cons to either. Generally cargo pilots are gone for longer blocks of days but like everything else that’s a function of seniority. There’s also no PA’s to make and boxes don’t complain when you’re late.

Adam