Can I fly for a part 135 after I've reached 500 hours and still be a part of a cadet program?

Robert,

Thank you for the detailed response!

Chris

Hi Robert,

Thanks so much for all the information - it’s very helpful! Sounds like commuting from the West Coast would be a chore - I’d have to factor in almost two days of travel leaving a net of two days at home twice a month. I assume the travel is ‘free’ with jumpseating / or the travel benefits on partner airlines, but the challenge is to get space on frequently full aircraft. On top of that, I’d have to get some kind of room or crashpad at the base.

I was wondering about their safety management system, but my impression from what I’ve read, is that Cape is the kind of company that takes safety very seriously.

Passenger interactions - I actually enjoy this and for me that would be a benefit.

Again, thanks for all the great info!

Tony

Hello again, Tony. Yes - commuting from the west coast would be added stress. I think it’s doable, but you are thinking of the right considerations. Commuting is one of my biggest stressors. On my first flying break when my trip starts, I’m already laying out the flight options to get home (flight schedules change constantly) and trying to piece together flights that would possibly work. Then I wait until the day before to see how full the flights actually are so I can really figure things out. I’ve never not gotten home, but I have had to use my 2nd and 3rd options to get home. Key here is to always know what those options are so you’re not trying to figure it out on the fly. Cape Air pilots do have jumpseat benefits (we belong to CASS) domestically at no cost. For international travel, we do pay taxes and fees. We also belong to Known Crewmember (KCM) which allows us a faster path through security at some airports.

Cape Air does take safety very seriously. We have an ASAP program and other safety/incident tracking systems in place. I have never felt pressured to ‘make a flight’ and any time I have talked to the chief pilots they push general safety and more so self evaluation - such as IMSAFE (which you’ll learn if you don’t already know what it means).

Best wishes on your career! Safe flying!

Bob

Again, thanks very much Bob, for your comments - very helpful indeed! I like what you say about safety at Cape Air - that certainly meets my expectations. I also wish you well for your career.

Cheers,
Tony