Can I be an airline pilot in Los Angeles

Can I be an airline pilot living in Los Angeles? I noticed that almost no airline has Los Angeles as a base. Can I be an airline pilot in Los Angeles with out being relocated? Also my goal is to fly for envoy and make my way up to American Airlines

Actually, lots of majors have a base in LAX and a couple regionals

American, Delta, United, Alaskan, Allegiant, Fedex, and for the regionals compass and Skywest currently. (I have a sibling working for Envoy though and theres a rumor that they will soon have an LAX base too, but thats just talk not sure if its really true)

1 Like

You can and should if that is where your current aspirations lie.

Use this as reference, it is usually updated each month.

3 Likes

Southwest just awarded the first group of pilots LAX as a base. Will be opening in the coming months.

1 Like

Being at southwest do you think it’s likely that they’ll ever get wide bodies or just stick with the 737? And how is scheduling is it flexible within the first couple of years there or only after you have more seniority? (I don’t personally know anyone at southwest I’ve just read that the schedule can be one of the best?)

1 Like

No way to predict the future on that one. Obviously the rumor mill keeps going and I don’t think any SWA pilot would be against the idea, but I think for the foreseeable future it’ll continue with just our wonderful 737s.

Scheduling has been great here. I had 18 days off in my second month and credited over 100 hours. I also have yet to sit reserve after over 4 months on line because I have been swapping my schedule around so much. I usually end up with at least mostly commutable trips. And the work rules have been insanely good. If you have specific questions, let me know =)

Wow, that’s awesome. No specific questions yet, right now I’m just focusing on finish commercial and getting CFI and to the regionals but I’m sure some will come up in the future thanks!