Real Answers from Real Pilots

Cadet Program VS ATP

(Danielle Calnin) #41

Jeff - I searched our database for your email address and was unable to find any request for information. If you would like to call 904-595-7950 and provide your contact info we will be happy to send an info packet or please email me directly at danielle.calnin@allatps.com.

(Jeff Williams) #42

Thanks Danielle, I will definitely email. I did definitely fill out the web form, so I’m not sure what happened. But I do want to get whatever info you guys have to send about the program and financial aid, etc.

(Arthun) #43

The first wave of jetblue select graduates completed training last month. The future of their ab initio program is unknown at this point do to the fact the training centers around being an e190 first officer. Jetblue has announced that they will begin phasing out that jet fleet for the a220 jet by 2020. Just something to keep in mind.

You may be perfectly content having your whole career with Jetblue but I would agree with Chris, that some have left for greater opportunities and QOL elsewhere because of unfavorable conditions.

Arthun,

Once again I can’t say we agree. First off the first group actually completed their training back in April. Now while the JB program has yet to have any pilots make their way to the airline, I don’t see the change in fleet having any impact on the program whatsoever. The bulk of the transition won’t take place till 2023-24 so there’s still time to train plenty of pilots for the E-jet should JB desire. If not the transition to the A220 wouldn’t be any more or less challenging (in fact the bulk of European ab initio programs use Airbus’). The A220 is really just a bigger RJ (would you prefer it if they still called it a C1000?). Still not a fan of the program but aircraft is not an issue.

As far as QOL goes, while there’s no question the big bucks are at the Majors, I know many JB pilots who couldn’t be happier. QOL is by definition subjective.

Adam

(Nicholas Franco) #45

Hello after researching for a few weeks now I have come to the conclusion that the difference between AA and ATP is that ATP requires an associates degree or a PPL to be accepted and AA has the bare minimum for requirements and doesnt appear to require either of the first 2. I am 26 years old and have had a passion for flying or wanting to at least. Have always wanted to fly a helicopter but see a commercial airline pilot as a better avenue into a more successful career. This would be a big change for my gf and 1 year old son as I would have to relocate no matter what. I have some college credits but no associates and it would cost me $7000 to get my PPL here locally in Kansas City, MO. I am stuck between paying the money for the PPL or applying for the AA if those requirements are accurate. I understand that airlines are seniority based and so getting this done as soon as possible is my goal. I can always get my college credits while being an instructor. Would like an opinion on my plan and possibly the best route for me. Of course I would need a student loan and that all is based on the time frame of passing the course since i will need to pay for housing while being a full time student.

Nicholas,

You can also qualify for ATP’s program with two years of work experience, which I would assume that at the age of 26, you have.

Chris

(Nicholas Franco) #47

Thanks for the speedy response. I was unaware of that and will send a resume. I have worked as a residential appraiser and been at the same location for the past 5 years and make 30k a year. On average are these “tuitions” for both programs considered a good deal? I have heard getting a commercial pilot license can cost up to 100K. Again, this has always been just a dream of mine and my son is the pushing force for me doing this. With a shortage in regional pilots and instructors I see no better opportunity than now.

Nicholas,

I am not familiar with the AA program’s tuition costs. I can tell you that ATP’s costs are significantly less than a university flight program or going through a small, local school.

Chris

(Joel Chen) #49

Love this.