Bowling Green, KY

Ok. This may be an odd one but I am looking at attending the Bowling Green KY location. As an Orlando resident I was originally looking at Daytona but since my entire family has decided to move up to join my sister in Henderson KY it seems to make sense to go to Bowling Green instead. I’ve searched and searched and cannot find any information on the Bowling Green location other than it exists. I was hoping to reach out to the students and instructors there and see if they could give any insight to the location. Bonus points awarded for anyone who can give competent information on the “Kentucky Advantage Loan”. I had lived in Owensboro when I was younger and have made frequent trips to the area but my experience in Bowling Green is limited and I was curious how that center compared to others.

Thank you in advance,

Carl

Carl,

Why would that be an odd question? Anyway here’s the info from the ATP website: https://atpflightschool.com/flight_schools/kentucky/bowling_green_bwg.html
Hopefully others will chime in.

Adam

Adam,

Thank you for chiming in. I was mainly curious because no one has posted up about Bowling Green yet. I also figured it would be a smaller location.

Carl

Carl,

ATP does not work with the Kentucky Advantage program as it imposes numerous additional rules that are incompatible with ATP’s methods of training.

As far as insight into the location, it really should be exactly the same as any other location. ATP strives very hard to make sure that the locations are as standard as possible. Also keep in mind that any instructors or students that you would talk to now could easily have moved on by the time you start your training.

Chris

Chris,

I must confess I’m a bit confused. I took the below comments on the “apply for a student loan” thread to mean that ATP was compatible with the Kentucky Advantage program. Has there been a change in the time since these were posted? Were these messages mistaken? Your own comments seem to indicate that they work with the program. I’m not saying this would keep me from going to either Bowling Green or Louisville, likely BG because cost of living is cheaper, but it seemed to be a significant bonus. Is there anyone from the financing department that may be able to weigh in?

Spencer Kingsking20Feb 25
There is a loan offered by the state of Kentucky called the Kentucky Advantage loan that is a much lower rate and supposedly a bit easier to get than either Sallie Mae or Wells Fargo. The catch is that is is only available for schooling or job training in Kentucky. So that means you would have to be willing to go to the Bowling Green location in order to use it. If finances are the only thing in your way you should definitely check into this. I’ve heard from several students at BG that this loan was the only reason they made it in at ATP.

1 Reply

Bradley W BackusbradleywbNov 8 sking20
Hey Spencer, I’m just curious, if you get approved with Kentucky advantage, why do they want you to go to bowling Green, are they affiliated? I have no problem going there if it means getting approved, Kentucky is a nice state and looks like the apartments for housing a really nice too.

2 RepliesReply

ChrisPilot MentorNov 8
They would want you to go to Bowling Green because it is a Kentucky based program.

Carl,

I have contacted the financing department to get clarification on this. When I receive it, I will pass it on to you.

Chris

Carl,

For various reasons, ATP no longer works with the Kentucky Advantage program.

Chris

Carl,

A friend of mine faced the same problem as you, and was initially told that ATP will not do Kentucky Advantage Loan. Eventually ATP allowed him to attend the Bowling Green location with the Kentucky Advantage Loan, and he recently completed the program! If you would like to find out more just send me a message and perhaps I can connect the two of you and you can get more information from him directly?

I believe you can always apply for the KAL for the amount you need and pay ATP as if you were paying out of your pocket, but like I said my friend would have more accurate answers for you.

As far as locations go, yes the standardization/process is the same across all ATP locations BUT, the student to instructor and student to plane ratio is very different at every location. This is something very important to consider. My instructor and I just recently flew to BG for a time-build, they currently have 19 students, 1 instructor, and one twin engine Seminole and one single engine Archer. So, if you do the math, that means a lot of sitting around not flying. I, and all of my fellow students at the Louisville, KY location will agree to this. For the past two weeks we had only one single engine Archer between the 12 of us, a Seminole that has been experiencing maintenance issues for over a month, and Cessna that was specially brought in to accommodate the height of one student, which is great, but ATP is not allowing any of the other students to fly the Cessna. All in all, I have spent more time on the ground than flying, and its not due to weather, it has been because of the lack of/availability of equipment.

So if you do want to attend ATP, which I still think as far as the training goes is top class, consider a location based on the above factors and possibly look at the bigger locations? You have to remember, we are all in the same boat, instructors and students; and every day that we don’t fly (not compromising safety, of course) the further away we all are from our dreams and also generating income to resume a normal life.

All the best,
Pranav Mistry

Pranav,

Sorry to hear you’re having issues and clearly I’m not there so I’m not disputing your claims regarding the airplane situation. My only question is are you guys behind? While I appreciate it might be frustrating to be grounded for any amount of time, as you’re probably aware the program was extended from 6 to 9 mos due to the shortage of examiners. That extra 3 mos provides as buffer to accommodate a fair amount of downtime. I also think it’s interesting that as a student, pilots are commenting that there aren’t enough instructors at certain locations, but before signing up one of the top concerns is as an instructor will I have enough students? Again I understand and appreciate your desire to expedite the process but unless you’re over the 9 mos you signed up for I don’t think you can accuse anyone from keeping you further away from your dreams.

Adam

Adam I think the biggest issue at the moment is housing availability. While there are lots of locations that have Instructor placement availability not all of them have housing available and for those of us away from home it makes it a little more difficult. While we could get our own apartments, it’s hard to beat ATP’s rates for instructor housing.

Pranav,

I checked with ATP admin and your numbers are way off. BWG has nine students, two instructors, one multi-engine airplane and two single engine airplanes. Of course this will fluctuate based on need and demand. This is vastly different than the numbers that you reported.

Chris

Tucker,

One of the ways that ATP is able to keep the housing rents so low is by not having excess capacity. If housing at your intended location is an issue and you want to take advantage of ATP’s discounted housing rates, I would suggest looking at another location.

Chris

Adam,

I am not sure if anything I said was accusatory, but if for some reason it came across that way then I apologize. I am simply just stating the current state of the facility at which I train at, and have heard from students of other facilities as well. As far as being behind, yes I am 20 days behind, one of my roommates is 45 days behind.

Lastly, you are right, I did sign up for the 9 mos program but let’s not forget I am paying for every minute of it. As a paying customer I think it’s only fair that both parties live up their end of the deal, I believe my part of the deal is that I am available Monday- Friday 8 am to 5 pm, which in all reality goes beyond that as all of the students are completely flexible with that time frame and are willing to fly on the weekends.

And the numerous times that we are told that seniority is everything in the airlines when it comes to starting flight school, I don’t think there is anything wrong in my desire to complete the program in less than 9 mos (not that its going to happen at this rate) especially when I am paying $223 a week for housing, the additional $1000/month in stipend, and to add the interest on all of that. If I am able to finish the program earlier by even one month that’s close to $2000 that I don’t have to pay down the road, it’s a month earlier to earning a little bit of money as an instructor, it could possibly be a month early to acquiring 1500 hrs, which results in a month ahead in seniority at an airline someday.

Just some food for thought.

Best,
Pranav

Pranav,

You are right, you are a paying customer, but to expect to finish the program in less than the time quoted you is simply unrealistic, you are asking for something that was not advertised to you.

If you have concerns with your training experience, I would suggest that you contact a member of management to have them addressed.

Chris

Chris,

I understand these things happens and there is logistical problem, increase in students, and planes are of a shortage therefore I am not in too much of a spot of bother yet. I know ATP is doing its best to purchasing new planes as soon as they come of the line.

I was just suggesting on this thread to look at a location with where equipment won’t be an issue. When you only have 2 planes for example, and one gets squawked and the other is due for its 100hr at the same time everyone is grounded. If you are at a location where there are several planes, you are still left with a higher probability to fly since there are more planes.

Please don’t misunderstand me when I share my experience. As a student recommending to another student, I would still suggest anyone who is looking choose aviation as a career, especially those who are switching careers like myself, to attend ATP if they have same goals as I do. But i think it’s fair to make anyone who may have questions about the program come in with as much awareness as possible so everyone has a better idea what to expect, and creates a better experience for all of us :slight_smile:

P.S. Yes, you are right, it is 9 students at BWG (sorry about the 19), and at the time I heard about there was only one instructor which could have easily changed.

Best,
Pranav

Pranav,

Nothing accusatory at all, I’m simply saying ATP states 9mos for a reason. This is aviation and yes there needs to be flexibility whether it be for equipment, wx, personnel, whatever. So are you saying you’re now at 9mos and 20 days OR if you were to fly every day you’ll be at 9mos and 20days? Otherwise how do you get that figure. As Chris said to expect to finished based on your own time frame vs what was quoted is unrealistic.

Adam

Pranav,

Thank you for the detailed response. I am also considering Nashville and Louisville, Nashville less likely bc I would be too distracted and then its certainly a no on the Advantage loan. I am putting Bowling Green above Louisville because it seems cheaper to live, if I’m wrong please correct, and it’s closer to Henderson. I don’t know of any messaging on the forum so I am left to leave my email. hines.carl@gmail.com Please also feel free to message me on the details of Louisville. I would be fine at either, and in all honesty, a larger city may make for a smoother transition.

Thank you,

Carl

Carl,

As far as I know the Louisville location is not eligible for the Kentucky Loan Advantage program and that is because the physical location of the ATP facility is located in Sellersburg, IN (Clark County Regional Airport). If you already living in the KY area, I would HIGHLY suggest dropping by the locations you are considering and personally checking them out and if you have the time, then definitely take an Intro Flight where you will go up for about an hour with a current instructor. I think this will give you the best idea as to what will work for you and give you a feel everything!

I’ll shoot you an email with my contact info and talk to my friend who went to Bowling Green and ask him to contact you as well.

Pranav