Best age to start and airlines current situation

Hello !

My name is Alexi and I’m looking forward to start my training with ATP but I have a couple questions and I would be glad if you can help me.
I wanna know if 33 years old is a good age to start and have good career having in mind that i’ll be around 37 by the end of the training and knowing the current situation of airlines around the world after the pandemic.

Thank you.

Alexi,

33 is actually the average age most people start their training. Whether or not it’s a “good age” is subject to debate. Since pilots have a finite number of years they can fly earlier is generally considered better. That said it takes some people longer than others to find their way to this career and those that do often are more focused and do better. Regardless you’ll still have many years to advance and hopefully reach your goals so I think you’re fine.

What I do wonder why you think it’ll take you 4yrs to complete your training? ATP can have you licensed, trained and building time as a professional in 9mos and possibly at an airline in under 3yrs (pandemic variables considered).

Adam

3 Likes

Alexi,

Welcome to the forums. Thirty three is certainly not a bad age, but it isn’t young either. Our industry is completely driven by the seniority system and those that start younger will always be ahead of those who do not. Please check out the FAQ section as there is a detailed post there dealing with this very topic.

Chris

1 Like

Alexi,

I started in May, about 1 month before my 34th birthday, so I too was 33 when I started taking my flight lessons. 4 months later, I have my private pilot checkride scheduled for next month, all while keeping my full time job. At our age, we potentially have 25-30 years for a pilot career, and potentially at least 20 years in the majors, and that seems like a long time! Definitely not too late.

Sam

2 Likes

What’s your experience like with atp while continuing to work full time?

Ivan,

ATPs Flex option is new so I’m not sure you’ll getting much response as it pertains to that. If you’re talking about working fulltime while doing the Fast Track that’s not possible.

Adam

1 Like

Hey yes, one of my biggest concerns is work, like Adam says it seems pretty impossible do the fast track and work at the same time. Can you tell me a little more about your experience with the flex track. Thank you!

Alexi,

Here’s the link to the program info:

Adam

1 Like

Ivan,

Sorry I didn’t make it clear. I’m not with ATP but with a smaller mom-and-pop flight school. I was just trying to add input that 33 is not too old to start flight school, not necessarily with ATP. From what is described regarding ATP’s schedule, I don’t really think there is any way that a person can reasonably have a FULL TIME job and enrolled in ATP. I wouldn’t even recommend anyone having a side job. With a smaller Part 61 school though, it is very doable. If you study ground school material at night and pick up on the flying well, you can easily finish in a few months while also employed full time at a mom-and-pop Part 61 school but be prepared to study and work really hard to do both!

Sam

Sam,

ATP prohibits students from working during the program as it is a full time commitment.

I see absolutely no way possible that somebody could finish all of their ratings at a mom and pop school while also working. These schools are known for being horribly inefficient and taking a very long time to get students through. I got my private license at a local school, it took way too long and cost much more than I was quoted.

ATP has developed the Flex Track program for working or college students. Check it out here: https://atpflightschool.com/airline-career-pilot-program/flex-track-airline-career-pilot-program.html

Chris

1 Like

Chris,

I know it can be done (I know a couple of guys) but as you said it takes way too long and cost way too much. Years of seniority and earnings gone that cannot be recouped.

Adam