Becoming a Pilot with ADHD

I am wondering if any pilots here were able to become a pilot with an adhd diagnosis. I personally was diagnosed with adhd when I was 6 years old and was on medication for it until I was 18 and I decided to get off it. I am 25 years old now and havent been on medication for 7 years. Now Im not trying to ask medical questions to people who are not aeromedical examiners…but I am wondering if you or anyone you know was able to become a pilot with an adhd diagnosis.

Thanks

1 Like

Thomas,

I do know pilots who had been diagnosed with ADHD. Obviously there are varying degrees as with many conditions. Key seems to be whether or not a person can perform their duties without medication. As you said none of us are AMEs and you’re best off consulting one with your specifics. Short answer yes it’s possible but not for everyone.

Adam

2 Likes

Thomas,

It can be overcome, but the FAA will likely ask a lot of questions. Just schedule with a Medical Examiner and be prepared for a lengthy process.

Chris

1 Like

Thomas,

I found this page on the FAA’s website. It looks like at the very least you will be subjected to a neuropsychological evaluation and a CogScreen test.

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/avs/offices/aam/ame/guide/dec_cons/disease_prot/adhd/

Tory

1 Like