Aviation jobs for college students

Hello, so I am currently beginning college applications, I am exactly a week away from my stage check for my solo, and I’m close to halfway done through first quarter of senior year. With this, it’s time for me to start thinking about the near future, and I was wondering what sort of jobs in aviation are available for college students, whether working in an airport or somewhere else. Something for a young student starting out in the field, or do most jobs require a degree or experience?

1 Like

Dan,

As far as aviation jobs go, there are usually part time ramp jobs available around the airport that don’t require a degree. It’s really a matter of you going to your local airport and seeing what they have.

Many airlines also offer internships for college students which are also a great way to start networking. Unfortunately with the current pandemic and the factor the airlines have significantly cut staffing there may be far fewer opportunities. Again it’s up to you to reach out to any airlines that might be in your area and see what they may offer.

Adam

1 Like

Dan,

At small, local airports you can expect to find jobs like fueling airplanes, working the counter, driving the shuttle at the local FBO, etc.

As Adam mentioned, many airlines offer internships.

If your goal is to be an airline pilot, none of those jobs (except an airline internship) will do anything to advance your career as a pilot. It will not matter that you fueled airplanes five years ago when you apply to a regional airplane, your pilot qualifications will be what they are looking at.If you want to work in aviation, that is great, but any other sort of job will probably do just as well.

Chris

1 Like

Ultimately, my goal is more to just find a job that I’d actually be interested in while I’m in college. Certainly, if pay is comparable, and the circumstances aren’t prohibitive, I’d much rather try out working on an airport ramp then at a Walmart.

1 Like