Avaition Related Question

Thank you again guys, I currently work at an airport and I definitely look up to pilots, great information left and right.

Frank,

Anytime, let us know how else we can help you.

Chris

Good afternoon hope all is well just had a quick question their is nothing wrong with getting college degree first then starting my flight training after college?

Frank,

Absolutely nothing wrong with that approach. In fact, it is what we often recommend and what I did myself.

Chris

Now I told I would be a pilot at the age of 30 after I’m done with college I plan on getting my private license then going to ATP flight school, is that reasonable age?

Frank,

Yes.
https://airlinepilot.life/t/am-i-too-old-to-be-an-airline-pilot/8062/2

Frank,

Curious where you’re getting that 30 number from? How old are you now?

Adam

Okay so here’s thing I tell myself everyday when I wake up in the morning I’ll be a airline pilot by the age of the 30 right. First I get my bachelors degree, then after college I’ll start my flight training by starting off obtaining my private license, then I plan on going to ATP flight school either to Chicago or Florida. Why those states well I live in Michigan and their isn’t one in Michigan. Any way back to the point then I’ll attend ATP flight school building up my hours. Dream Airline All of Them

Oh yeah I’m 19 by the way, sorry I forgot to mention that

Frank,

That was why I asked and I’m not sure again where you got 30 from. Further I offer the caveat that nothing is guaranteed. That said here’s a more optimistic and actually more realistic time line.

Your 19 and have one year of college done so 3 to go. Finish school and start your training with ATP at 22. Complete the program and build your required time in approx 2.5yrs. That puts you at a Regional airline by 25 not 30. Pretty darn good if you ask me!

Adam

Man the knowledge of this feed back is amazing, any way long story short that seems practical, the reason I said 30 is because I thought they would hire a person who is a bit older and bit more mature at that age, with a college degree, and I’ll need a lot of experience total 1,500 hours right if not correct if I’m wrong, loving this feed back helps a lot.

Adam

Frank,

Age has nothing to do with it so long as you’re above the min for hiring. To get to a Major airline yes they want considerably more experience than the 1500hr min but not at the Regionals. In fact if they could legally do it, they would gladly hire you with less.

Adam

Thanks for the tips and the advice much appreciated

Adam

Last thing I’m have my ears pierced would that be okay or no too unprofessional?

As long as you can remove the earrings and don’t have gauges that leave massive holes you’re fine. If you do you could have a problem.

Adam

Frank,

Definitely no earrings at work. Same if you have tattoos, they will need to be covered.

Chris

Hey, i got my ears pierced, After i graduate from college and after my flight school, in the future when i have a pilot interview, If i take off my earrings for the interview. Will the holes be a bad thing or not ?
( btw its a regular small earring, not the gauges or the big stretched earrings)

Leonel,

Definitely not a problem as long as they’re not gauges. I would recommend taking them out once you start looking to make the holes less obvious but regardless you’ll be fine.

Adam

Leonel,

You might want to think of taking them out before flight school. You never know who you might meet while you are out there flying around, it is best to act like you are always interviewing.

Chris

Good evening pilots it’s Frank haven’t been in the chat lately. I have some good news and bad news I’ve been working on getting my private licenses and have accumulated some hours over this summer and I got my third class medical. Now going back to college next week but I’ll be working while in school. My short term goal is to get my private pilots licenses and instrument rating before I graduate college I’m a second year this year. My concern is what do I do after I graduate college to become a airline pilot.