August 2018 schedule

In August I had thirteen days off and 81 hours of pay.

1. off
  2. off
  3. off
  4. short call reserve
  5. EWR-ATL, ATL-EWR, EWR-CLT
  6. CLT-DEN, DEN-LAS
  7. LAS-IAH, IAH-EWR
  8. long call reserve
  9. LGA-IAH, IAH-LGA
  10. off
  11. off
  12. off
  13. off
  14. short call reserve
  15. LGA-DEN, DEN-ONT
  16. ONT-SFO, SFO-MFR
  17. MFR-DEN, DEN-LGA
  18. EWR-PHX
  19. PHX-ORD, ORD-EWR
  20. off
  21. off
  22. off
  23. off
  24. EWR-JAX
  25. JAX-IAH, IAH-ORD, ORD-ROC
  26. ROC-EWR, EWR-BNA, BNA-EWR
  27. off
  28. off
  29. Field Standby
  30. LGA-DEN, DEN-SLC
  31. SLC-GJT (diversion from Denver), GJT-DEN, DEN-ABQ

Anything exciting related to the diversion that you can share?

Sure. There were mircrobursts being reported at Denver, which airliners are prohibited from landing in. We held for thirty minutes, waiting for the storm to pass. When it didn’t pass in time, we diverted to Grand Junction. We refueled there, waited for the storm to pass, then continued on to Denver.

2 Likes

Oh Chris, don’t deviate, PENITRATE! :wink:

Adam

1 Like

Here are two pictures from the divert.

3 Likes

That’s my home airport!

Hey Chris - If you are ever in Denver over the next month or two give me a shout - I am currently training at centennial - APA for the next two months or so.

Justin,

Will do. I am flying through Denver today, but will only be there for an hour or so.

Chris

As always, thanks to you, Adam and Tory for taking the time to post these schedules. They’re fascinating & much appreciated.
Best,
Don

Don,

I am glad you find the schedules useful :slight_smile:

Maybe a lame question, but I noticed your schedule seems to be based both out of LGA and EWR. Does your airline fiddle with your basing during a schedule, or did you bid for those trips? Trying to understand just how tough being junior is going to be :wink:

Thanks,
-Tom

Tom,

I am actually based in NYC, which means EWR, LGA and JFK, we are responsible to cover all three. The same is typically true of LA, where pilots cover LAX and SNA, or San Francisco which means SFO, OAK and SJC.

Chris

Interesting, good to know!

Thanks,
-Tom

I’ve been browsing around on this website, and somewhere I read that pilots fly for about 30 something hours but get paid for 80 hours. In August, how many hours were you actually flying? I noticed you were paid for 81 hours.

Thanks,
Peter.

Also, can you please explain the difference between long and short call reserve?

Peter,

You’re probably referring to my schedule last month which was EXTREMELY rare. I’m on Reserve (by choice) and on Reserve you get paid your guarantee (in my case 75hrs + 5hrs for flying on my day off) regardless of how many hours you fly. I was fortunate in that we had good staffing and low block hours last month so I didn’t get used much. While I often get paid for more than I fly this was an extreme example and not something you should count on.

Adam

Robert,

Chris is probably flying and I’m sure he’ll chime in with the specifics at UA but at most airlines Long Call Reserve is anywhere from 12-24hrs, Short Call is 2 or 3.

Adam

Ohhh okay. Thank you.

That’s what I thought, thanks!

I flew 81 hours and got paid for 81 hours. there was not any “soft time” in my trips.

Chris

What airlines do these schedules correlate with? Trying to see which ones are at a major Airline. I know life in the regionals will be tough, however, I would like to get a glimpse of how much “better” it could be at the majors.