ATP with a Family

All,

I’m not sure if this is the right place for this post, but I have some questions about participating in the ATP program. I have always been very interested in aviation, but for a multitude of reasons, the foremost of which of course being the cost, was never able to go above getting ~10 hrs on my log book. Currently, I work full-time and am the primary provider for my family, but recently found the ATP program. I am curious if anyone else with a family has gone through the program and been successful, furthermore, if so, how did they provide for their family while in the program. I am not working a job currently that would allow me to save a whole lot of money to provide for flight school.

In addition to this, I have been met with a good bit of skepticism from family members regarding taking out a loan in this amount. I have continued to try to talk to my wife and other family members using information provided to educate them, but have been met with stiff resistance.

Any advice would be very much welcome.

Adam,

A good percentage of the students who attend ATP have families and responsibilities (myself included). I say those that go ahead fall into 3 categories. First there are those who manage to put some money away for the time, second are those who’s spouse/partner can carry the weight and finally (probably the biggest) those who take out additional funds in their loan to cover living expenses. Regardless it definitely requires some sacrifice and a very supportive family. Not only financially but you won’t be there for them emotionally or physically. Only you can decide if it’s worth it.

As for your family members that’s a personal issue but I think it’s safe to say we all have naysayers and negative forces in our lives when it comes to pursuing our dreams. How much weight you give them again is up to you.

Adam

1 Like