ATP training and instructing

Hope someone can shed some light on this. I looked and haven’t found the answer. While training what’s the days and rough estimates of times each day? After becoming an instructor what’s the days and times? I’ve read different things ranging from Monday-Friday with weekends off, to 7 days a week.

Don,

The answer is all of the above. While a typical work schedule is M-F, during daylight, there are times when that simply will not be possible due to the requirement for night flights. Also, most instructors chose to work weekends so that they can build their flight time faster.

Just in case you were thinking of working a second job or attending online classes while instructing, it isn’t possible. The job is far too demanding for that and will require a fair amount of flexibility on your part.

Chris

Understandable. So instructoring on the weekends is a choice. That’s good to know as I have kids. Instructing every weekend would be difficult.

It is a choice, but you should definitely plan on working some of the weekends.

Chris

Don,

Keep in mind if working a few weekends will get you at a Regional where you’ll have more free time it might be worth the sacrifice.

Adam

Oh yeah. No doubt. I have no problem with that. I work every 3rd weekend now. I have 2 young kids and was just making sure it wasn’t a every weekend type thing.