ATP placement

Hello, my name is Bryce I want to enroll at ATP and finish my ratings there. I currently have my private and instrument ratings. I don’t see a starting credit if you already have your instrument rating. I was wondering if anyone could explain where ATP would place me at to finish my ratings. Thanks

Bryce,

You’d have to repeat the instrument training, but not take a check ride.

Tory

Thanks Tory.
Any exceptions if I received both ratings from a part 141 university?

Bryce,

There are ZERO exceptions regardless of anything (not sure why you would think it matters where you optained your training? You either passed your Instrument checkride or you didn’t). ATP offers 2 programs and ONLY 2 programs. One includes your Private, one doesn’t.

Adam

Adam, I have my instrument rating. I was double checking all of my options before I make a decision to attend ATP or not. It never hurts to ask questions that you are investing thousands of dollars into yourself.
Tory, thanks for your help.

Makes no difference. Ratings are ratings. ATP simply doesn’t have a PPL+IR credit program. The instrument training helps new students learn ATP’s profiles and procedures.

Tory

1 Like

Bryce,

I understand you have your IR and no it doesn’t hurt to ask questions (which you did and Tory answered). It’s also simply what I did. I was curious as to why you think an exception would be made for your “Part 141 University” IR vs anybody else’s.

Adam

Part 141 schools are more rigorous training, but i am not surprised that it doesn’t matter. Just a question I threw out to make sure, because I honestly don’t want to pay more money for a rating that I already have.

Bryce,

You would start with credit for private, but not for the instrument. Your flight training would be the same as if you did not have an instrument license at all, but you would obviously not take the FAA checkride at the end of that portion of your training.

Chris

1 Like

“Part 141 schools are more rigorous training”.

Bryce, if you do decide to train with ATP please let me know if you still believe that AFTER you’re done with the training. As I said above, you either can pass an FAA checkride or you can’t.

Adam

2 Likes

Adam,
I am not doubting ATP program I understand the fast paced training and exams I love that about ATP, that’s why I am interested. I can pass FAA check rides I don’t have a problem with that.

Bryce I am in the same position as you as I myself have my Private with Instrument from Part 141. ATP condenses ~2-3 years of 141 training at an accredited university into 6 months. Yes it’s Part 61, but I’ve looked through the training schedule and it is jammed packed.

Look at the positive side. Those hours of instrument training you build are just fewer hours you’ll have to acquire after training towards your 1500. Like Tory said, it will help you conform to ATPs SOP. It will also tighten up that instrument proficiency for the rest of your training. That’s the way I see it. It is a big investment, but ATP offers an expedited avenue into the airline industry.

1 Like

Bryce,

What you do seem to have a problem with is what I mean when I say “you either pass or you don’t” (this is the second time). I’m not implying you didn’t, couldn’t or haven’t passed your checkride. What I was saying was you seem to believe that your Inst Rating which you earned at your “more rigorous Part 141 University program” has a higher value than Joe Shmoe’s that he earned at Uncle Vito’s Flight School and Laundry. It does not, you either passed the checkride AND therefore have an IR or you didn’t and don’t.

Adam

Adam,
I never stated that my I believe my instrument rating is different from anyone else that may have required it somewhere else. I understand if you have an instrument rating you have it no matter where obtained. Still not understanding why your still pushing this issue.

Thank you Michael for understanding and for the advice.

1 Like