ATP Phx, Mesa

Here is a question or two to those who have spent time in, or are familiar with, the ATP Mesa campus:

Do you think it possible to complete the program in 6 months? I know ATP recently increased the program time due to FAA examiner shortages in certain areas. What seems to be the impact on Mesa?

Also, what is the likelihood of staying AZ to instruct with ATP? Or ASU, UND et al.

Any general thoughts on the campus are welcome as well.

Thanks,
Rich in AZ

Richard,

While I’ve never actually done any training at the Mesa campus I am good friends with one of their Examiners. If it were possible to complete the training in 6mos at certain ATP locations ATP would surely advertise as such AND most people would strive to achieve that. The examiner shortage is real and from what I understand the new 9mos footprint accommodates the availability of the examiners nicely. The program length is now 9mos.

Mesa is one of ATPs flagship locations and while it has more instructors than most other locations, it’s also very desirable due to that fact and the favorable weather. I’d have to say your chances of instructing there are as good as any other location (but as always there are no guarantees). As for UND and ASU I’m certain you could apply but I’d have to believe that they give preference to their students first for any open positions.

Adam

I spoke with an ATP recruiter when the change occurred, and he said it was still possible to complete it in 6 months. Maybe knocking out written exams beforehand will help. Is there a scenario where 6 months is possible, though rigorous?
The jump to 9 months adds to my timeline for saving quite a bit, postponing a RESPONSIBle start date.

Rich,

To my knowledge, ASU does not actually have their own flight instructors. ASU has contracted with ATP for many years to provide flight instruction to their students.

Chris

Richard,

It could be possible to shave a bit of time off the program, but the program is now scheduled at nine months and you should plan for that. I would not want to see you get into a negative situation because you budgeted for six months and because of weather or FAA delays ended up taking eight or nine months. Plan on nine, be happy if you complete it sooner.

Chris

Richard,

When ATP first changed the footprint to 9mos they stated they would make every effort to keep to the 6mos timeline for any students currently or recently enrolled. That may be what the recruiter was referring to.

Adam

Richard,

I’ll add to this by saying that during the summer months, many ASU students take a break from flight training. This means that there are less checkrides to complete and the examiners can be a little easier to book, and therefore a shorter time period.

But then on the other hand it is summer in Arizona, which can be brutal…

Yarden

Thanks guys for the feedback. I appreciate it!

I hadn’t considered the ASU summer bit. A good point. I’ve been in AZ for quite some time, and have spent the last 10 summers on a flight line. I can handle some heat if it means shaving off some time. Definitely something to keep in mind.

Rich in AZ