ATP locations and getting ahead before class date

Hello all,
I plan on enrolling with ATP in the summer of 2020 and would like to know some your thoughts on my plan on getting ahead. Im Currently waiting to finish up the flight portion of the PP Checkride due to some weather issues and I’ve already completed the Instrument written test. I plan on taking the commercial and possibly the flight instructor FAA knowledge tests after I complete the ground school courses in the spring at the local junior college.Additionally, while completing this I will be chipping away at the 50hr XC req for instrument prior to starting ATP in the summer. Any thoughts on anything else I can do to prepare?

Lastly, I plan on enrolling at either the Long Beach Ca or the Palomar Ca locations. If anyone has come insight on these locations and If one may be better than the other that would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Hunter,

Sounds like a good plan, especially the part about taking as many written tests as you can.

The 50hr XC requirement for instrument I don’t agree with only because your plan is to finish the rest of your training at ATP. I say this because, although FAR 61.65(d)(1) requires instrument-airplane applicants to have 50 hours of XC time, you’re going to have to do that regardless. In other words, completing the 50 hours of XC before enrollment won’t get you ahead because ATP requires students to complete the syllabus as planned.

What you will need, as an enrollment prerequisite, is a PPL and 78+ hours total time. How you get to 78+ hours is up to you. Anymore than that won’t necessarily get you ahead of ATP’s syllabus.

Tory

2 Likes

Hunter,

I’m with Tory. Get your PPL and the 78hrs required and you’re done. As he said get the 50XC won’t put you ahead in any way.

If you really want to get a jump complete ALL of the written exams prior.

Adam

Hunter,

I would finish your PPL, get the 78 hours (make every extra hour a cross-country one) and finish all of your written exams. Beyond that, I would not focus on the 50 hours of cross country, you will get that in the program. Here are the actual requirements to join with private: https://atpflightschool.com/airline-career-pilot-program/admission-prerequisites.html

Chris

for MEI and CFII is there written exams for those as well? My JC only offers ground schools to CFI

Hunter

Take at look at this page:
https://atpflightschool.com/faqs/acpp-prep-written-knowledge-tests.html

Private (PAR), Instrument (IRA) and Commercial (CAX) have written tests.

The MEI doesn’t have a written test necessarily, but to be an instructor you will have to take the FOI and FIA. The FII is another written test for the CFII rating. If you’re planning on becoming a CFII, typically the IRA and FII tests are taken back to back.

Tory