ATP Housing Question

Quick question out of curiosity…

For those who have in the past, or are currently living in ATP provided housing, does ATP at least notify the current residents of the apartment when a new student is joining and will be living with them?

Not a big deal, but I move in Saturday and wasn’t provided such information (other than address and apartment number), just curious if my potential roommate(s) know somebody is coming, or I should plan on getting a “who the heck are you!?” stare upon arrival :rofl:

Michael,

When I lived in housing as a CFI, I was notified when a new occupant was scheduled to move in because we kept copies of the keys at the training center.

Tory

1 Like

Depends on the location and circumstances I think. When we had someone starting a program from credit private or zero hour, we had a couple of days notice. When CFI school started up, we had people just show up… Not a big deal. We were accustomed to that and it was no big deal either way.

Excellent, thank you both!

Aloha,

I’m a senior in high school & planning to become a pilot after High school. Do you folks recommend four years of math in high school? Trying to move my classes around, but debating on dropping my math class for a welding class. Let me know what you think. Thank you

Lynn,

As long as you graduate successfully with good grades no one cares what you study in high school.

You should consider continuing to college as Major airlines want a degree.

Adam

There is not nearly as much math in aviation as you might think. I would not let it be a factor in your career plans.

I personally detested math class.

Is on campus housing mandatory for first year students? i know some universities make student live on campus for their first year, but id really rather rent an apartment with my partner who will be attending Long Beach State. Since both campuses are near the airport we are both trying to rent an apartment together. Money isn’t an issue for us. We are looking at nearby complexes so we can both make an easy commute to school.

You don’t have to live in student housing at all. I did find it easier especially in early training to have roommates that are further along and can help you with homework. If you can stay dedicated to doing your work on-campus when you aren’t flying, it’s a non-issue. If you just show up for the flight and than bail out and go back home, you’re gonna have a bad time.

Chris,

ATP is a flight school not a college or university. Since the program is only 6 or 9 months there are no “first year students” (or maybe everyone is?). Regardless this is America and you can live where you like so long as you can get to the airport in a timely manner.

Adam

Well I plan to be involved with the campus and students there any way I can, I just don’t want to live with them. Not that there’s anything wrong with them, I haven’t even met them yet. I’d just much rather live with my partner. I’m not exactly sure how things run down there but I’d like to meet lots of other students and make friends. If there’s anything else I’ll be able to do after my flights on campus I’d go do them, whatever they may be. Thank you for your help.

Thank you! That’s very good news. Does this apply to all campuses that have the ATP program or just the Long Beach program? I’m not sure how all this works so you’ll have to bear with me here. I did not know it took such a short time. It takes 9 months to get all your ratings? From single engine private to a commercial twin engine license? What about obtaining your bachelors degree in aeronautical science? What’s the average graduation time on that? Liberty University is advertising bachelor degrees in as little as 2.5 years.

Chris,

As I said above, ATP is a flight school. It’s not a college or a university and therefore there are no degrees to be earned. I STRONGLY recommend you visit ATPs website (Www.ATPFlightSchool.com) and learn a little about the program. Flight training requires a huge commitment both time and money wise. These decisions should not be made lightly or with a lack of information.

Adam

Chris,

ATP does not really have campuses in that sense of the word and there certainly is not “campus life”. It is a nine month, very intense program that leaves little time for much else. Check out the FAQ section and ATP’s website, there is a lot of good information on both of those.

Chris