ATP Height and Weight Restrictions

Hey guys, just have a couple questions regarding the whole height and weight restrictions. I decided to obtain my private before going to ATP, I’ve been flying a 172 very comfortably and quickly approaching my check ride. Planning on attending ATP in March-April, possibly sooner. I have not taken an admissions flight with ATP. I’m 6’5, 270lbs, I constantly lift weights and workout, I’m just wondering how strict these restrictions are? Do you literally step on a scale when you show up? Do you have classmates that are obviously over these restrictions? It’s not a body fat problem, I’m just built like a football player to put it in layman terms. Just trying to get some information from people who have been to the program. Thanks guys.

Wyatt,

No, ATP doesn’t put you on a scale but your AME did right? It’s also not strictly a matter of comfort, there are potential weight and balance issues. I’d give ATP a call but I believe they’re pretty strict on the policy.

Also just a remember, if you want to start the program with credit for you PPL you also need at least 78hrs of flight time.

Adam

Wyatt,

Definitely call the Admissions department and ask. Keep in mind that as Adam pointed out, your medical certificate has your weight on it. Also, you are required to complete a weight and balance before each flight, for which you must use actual weights.

Chris

Luckily, I’m thinking my recorded weight was 254. Thanks for the help! I’ll call and talk with them.

Wyatt,

It does not matter what your recorded weight was. Your actual weight is what matters and yes, an FAA inspector could ask you to step on a scale.

Chris

2 Likes

I’ll just be sure to drop 8-10 lbs before start date. Thanks.

2 Likes