ATP Flight School Commute

Hello everyone! I am currently a private pilot looking to start ATP in the Spring. If I stay living where I do now, it will be about a 45-50 minute commute to the airport. To all who have completed the program, do you think this is doable or would it be best to live at the ATP contracted housing?

Tyler,

My commute was 45 minutes. I didn’t have any problems. When I became a CFI, I lived in ATP housing. I was glad that I made that decision.

Tory

I was wondering the same thing. Tory - what are the (usual) expected school hours? 8am-5pm? This will play a factor in which school I choose since I am right between two different locations.

Tyler,

I think that is completely feasible. I would absolutely continue to live where you are, one less thing to worry about while in training.

Chris

TJ,

The schedule is anything but usual. It is expected that students be available for 8 hours a day, but your lessons will be scheduled the night before. The instructor will create the schedule based on a lot of different factors, including weather, aircraft availability, check ride prep, etc.

Tory

1 Like

Tyler,

Def doable.

Adam

Adam,

If I recall correctly, our drive from the apartments to the airport could be 15 minutes, or considerably longer. I remember thinking that the same train stopped me at both crossings, then I looked it up on Mapquest and it was some sort of reversing loop for the railroad, so it really was the same train twice.

Chris

I remember it sometimes taking longer than it should have but the details.

You have a really good memory.

Adam