ATP Flight Instructor Location

I’m another one of those mid careerists looking to make the change into aviation full time. My question is related to the flight instruction for ATP phase of the airline training path. When that time comes, are you able to select which ATP location you’d like to instruct from or are do you have to go to any of the ATP locations that have an immediate need? My wife and family are open to moving later on after my path in this career is established but would like to remain fixed during the initial training and hours building phases.

Thanks!

1 Like

Blake,

When you complete your training ATP will give you a list of available locations. If the one you want is a available that’s great but there’s ZERO guarantee it will be (and no way of predicting it). You can put in a request should it become available for a transfer but again no guarantee. The other option of course is to check the area for other flight schools or jobs that might hire low time pilots.

Adam

Blake,

When I started instructing, my preferred location was not available, so I took a position at another location and then put in a transfer request. Within two months, I was back to my desired location.

Chris

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback from you both.

Blake,

Anytime. Let us know how else we can help you.

Hey @Chris, I know this thread is old but he we go again :wink:
When you took your “satellite station” instructor job, did you have a subsidized housing opportunity or commute? I don’t know if you had a family at the time but I have one and a recently purchased cage… cough I mean, house.

Rufus,

ATP offers discounted housing to their instructors but it’s for the instructor only, no family and commuting really isn’t an option.

Most instructors with families who don’t get a location close to home will look for other instructor or flying positions.

Adam

Rufus,

I did most of my instructing at a location that did not offer housing. Part of the reason that I chose that location was because I was able to live with my parents. I did not have a family at the time.

I would not recommend taking an instructing job that is any significant amount of time away from your family, unless you really do not like them.

Chris

1 Like

Thanks @Adam and @Chris, that’s actually encouraging to hear. And hopefully with the amount of aviation going on in ATL I will be fine finding a CFI spot. I saw a bunch of postings recently.

Hey,

One more person hopping on a late post. I was actually just searching this topic.

I am locked in to a lease for the next 13 months here in Charlotte. I am planning on attending the ATP location here (6mo. W/ private pilot credit) beginning in January. I will not be able to afford to pay 2 rents if I’m unable to secure an instructor position in Charlotte, and I know that is not guaranteed.

I’m aware of the options of waiting/requesting a move, taking another job with a different school, etc.

My question is, how common is it to land another instructing job elsewhere? I know there are other schools in Charlotte besides ATP. However a quick google search yielded zero pilot jobs in the area that I’d be qualified for after school (American Airlines instructor… etc). Do you imagine there are many jobs out there From local schools that may just not be posted? I apologize for asking after looking it up myself, I just am not as familiar with the industry as you guys may be. I didn’t know if maybe instructor jobs are more so hearsay/ asking around to different schools.

As you all have been around the ATP world much longer, I was wondering if you all knew how often things work out like they did for Chris? 2 months certainly would be manageable. And I’m sure you all can’t guarantee anything. Just wondering if you all have heard of people having much (general) success in getting moved back to their desired location quickly.

Thanks so much guys! Always appreciate your insight.

Regards,
Wesley

Wesley,

You’re asking a question that’s virtually impossible to answer. This industry is dynamic. This week there could be plenty of instructor jobs in CLT, a year from now who knows?

If I were you as you’re nearing the end of your training I’d start looking and putting out feelers. That said you need to understand that due to the pilot shortage there’s been a surge in training. Those students also need instructor jobs and first dibs goes to students FROM that flight school. Some have no problems landing a gig, others do.

Adam

Wesley,

Each area will have different supply and demand and it’s always changing. If I were you, I would call some flight schools in your area and ask them what their turnover rate is.

Tory

Wesley,

I have found that generally speaking, most CFIs are able to return to their preferred ATP location within a few months, of course there is no guarantee. CFI jobs outside of ATP are not jobs that are generally posted on the internet. Typically applicants walk into schools with a resume and apply that way. Now if you call some local schools now and tell them that you want to go to ATP and then work there, they will undoubtedly tell you that they only hire their own, etc. This is because they of course want you to come to their school (can’t blame them there). But I know plenty of ATP students who have instructed at non-ATP schools after graduating.

Chris

I appreciate the help Tory and Chris. That’s definitely a bit reassuring.

Thanks,
Wesley

Thanks Adam, I didn’t see your response earlier. That is definitely a Good point and I realize it’s an ever changing situation. I’m glad to hear that it’s still pretty possible to be moved back to your desired location.