Atp-ctp

Hello again. I have a question(s)about the ATP certificate. Whenever you reach your 1500 hours, where do you go take the test? How much studying is involved? How hard is the test? How much does it cost? Any input is appreciated.

Wyatt P.

Wyatt,

If you decide to fly for a Regional they train you and satisfy all the requirements for your ATP cert. They then will administer the Written and your type ride will act as the practical exam for your ATP cert. Now if for some reason you chose a different route you will be required to take an FAA certified course prior to taking the written and subsequent practical. Back before 2013 you could simply walk into any FAA testing facility and take the written. But, along with the 1500hr Rule came a long list of requirements which had to be satisfied prior to taking the written, not the least of which is 6hrs in a Level C FULL-MOTION simulator. Again not a problem if you get hired at a Regional but if not you’re going to be looking at least $5,000 just for the training to take the Written.

The Written itself is really not that challenging and is mainly rote information.

Adam

Adam,
That is very useful information. Thank you for clearing up my questions.

Wyatt

1 Like

Always happy to help.

Adam

ATP Flight School does offer an ATP CTP program. Our recommendation to Airline Career Pilot Program graduates and ATP instructors is to let your airline sponsor your ATP CTP.

ATP Flight School, through its ATP JETS affiliate, provides contract ATP CTP training to the following airlines:

• Mesa
  • Piedmont
  • Trans States
  • GoJet
  • Envoy
  • Great Lakes
  • Compass
  • Republic
  • Ameriflight

We add more every day as we bring more locations on-line. But as an ATP graduate and instructor, the ATP CTP is a cost that your future airline employer will bear.

Justin,
Thanks for your input. It is greatly appreciated. That is what I’ve been told and have read.

Thanks,
Wyatt

Got a question on the topic, is it common for regionals nowadays to require the ATP CTP course before joining as opposed to providing it? I’ve seen a new airline that does that.

Thanks,
Marwan

Marwan,

No. In fact I don’t know any Regional that requires an ATP. All include it as part of your newhire training.

Adam

Adam,

apparently Avelo airlines does, their hiring page popped on my FB feed because of my activity on aviation pages. So I looked into their requirements and that is what it said:

Completed ATP-CTP course, 14 CFR §61.156

I’m assuming because they pay higher than other regionals??!!

Marwan

Marwan,

Avelo is not a Regional. They’re a new start-up Low Cost Carrier selling their own tickets. Regionals support Majors and do not.

Adam

Interesting… So you would say they’re not really a full regional as of now?

No, again they’re not a Regional nor do then intend to be one (now or ever). Again Regionals don’t sell their own tickets. You can’t buy a ticket to fly on SkyWest, Republic, Envoy, CommutAir, etc. They’re “Regional partners” for the Majors. So if you want to fly from EWR to RDU you give your money to United, but since RDU is a small airport and there isn’t enough traffic to/from there your flight will be on United Express (operated by CommutAir).

Avelo is an independent carrier, they support no Major and you can go on the Avelo website and buy a ticket to fly on Avelo. Hence they are not, nor do they have any intention to be, a Regional.

Adam

2 Likes

Thanks for clarifying Adam, I don’t think I have seen anything like them before. Good to know.

Avelo is the same type of airline like Allegiant, Sun Country, Breeze, JetBlue, Spirit, Frontier. Just quite a bit smaller than some of those since they are quite new.

1 Like

That makes sense, thanks Galen.