Atp beginner recommendations

Dear Pilots,

I will be beginning ATP program soon. Any recommendations for headset, iPad, and flight bag etc? Also any tips for new beginning students ?

Manpreet,

I recommend you do a quick forum search of all the items you’re looking for. There are many threads where this is discussed.

As always we recommend you complete as many of the FAA Knowledge exams you can prior to your start date. While not required it definitely will lighten the work load.

Adam

1 Like

Thank you Adam. I will take a look at the forums as well as the FAA knowledge exams.

Manpreet

Headset: this is a personal preference so it’s up to you, you can go cheap to get you through training and get a nice one later or you can go expensive. I went with the Bose A20 and it’s amazing.

iPad: I have an Air 2 and in my opinion it’s too big. Most instructors have the IPad Mini and all seem to like it. A 64GB hardrive is more than enough to download all of the maps, data, documents for forefight, download king schools, & download other aviation apps.

Flight bag: just use the backpack ATP provides you. It’s free and holds everything you need easily.

Other tips: As mentioned a bunch getting your knowledge tests done is helpful but it seems like most students don’t do them before. ATP provides you with the FAA handbooks in your welcome package. Start reading through the Pilots Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge. Download and watch the King Schools ground school videos that come with your ATP enrollment.

At ATP: Don’t be afraid to ask your instructors and other students for help if you’re having difficulties understanding something. Don’t be afraid to ask an instructor other than your own. Maybe they can explain something to you in a better way that allows you to grasp the concept better. Everyone teaches differently. Be excited to learn and have a lot of fun! I’m having a blast and glad I made the decision to go to ATP.

Best of luck to ya!

3 Likes

Walker,

I sincerely appreciate the valuable information you have provided before beginning the program. I will most likely go with the Bose A20 as it seems like a good option for a long term as well. For the headsets do we need a dual plug six pin or single plug? I was just confused on what connector to buy. In your opinion iPad mini is the right size for flying ? I was looking at a used iPad Pro. I’ll take a look at the FAA knowledge exams just to get a head start on the info. Good luck to you Walker and thank you again for the helpful tips

Dual plug. 6pin is for Airbus, single is for helicopter.

https://atpflightschool.com/faqs/acpp-prep-written-knowledge-tests.html

Adam

Thank you for letting me know Adam. Airbus is out of the question for a few years and going for regional so dual is the way to go.

Manpreet

It’s all personal preference when it comes to the iPad and headset. I’m just letting you know what I’ve found. If you can find a good iPad Pro and don’t think it’ll be too big sitting in your lap then by all means go for it.

1 Like