ATP and Type Ratings

What exactly is the difference between an Airline Transport Pilot certificate and a type rating? Are all ATP certified pilots type rated in some type of aircraft? Do all type rated pilots have an ATP certificate? Are these (ATP and type rating) usually obtained together in the same check ride, like a commercial and multi-engine rating?

I’ve gone made it through training all the way past commercial and I’m still unclear on the actual relationship between these two certs. I know that all turbojet aircraft, or any aircraft over 12,500 pounds, requires a type rating, but does it also require an ATP certificate? I also know that the 1,500 hour rule applies to anyone looking to get an ATP certificate (1,000 for r-ATP), but is the requirement the same in order to get a type rating?

Any information is much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

An ATP is the highest license that a pilot can earn and is what enables them to work for an airline.

A type rating allows a person to fly a specific kind of jet. A person can have a type rating without having an ATP and vice-versa. They are completely seperate things.

1 Like

Kevin,

Great question. Ok as you said CFR 61.31 states that to operate a “Large” aircraft (over 12,500lbs) or a turbojet you must have a Type Rating. That means if I hit the PowerBall and decide to buy myself a G5 and fly myself around the world with just my Private license I can, but I do need a Type rating. Conversely if have 1500hrs in a Cessna 152 and have no desire to fly anything bigger, I can get my ATP (single engine) with no Type rating. Now in both cases that’s not generally how or why people get either or both. Most pilots who get their ATP’s do it so they can fly for an airline (or get a good corporate gig) and after training in specific aircraft for the Type will combine the Type and ATP checkride into a single event. Make sense?

Adam

1 Like

Thanks Adam and Chris! That makes sense.

What is the ATP/type rating checkride like? Is it an oral followed by a flight in a full motion sim? How long do they usually go for?

Kevin,

Really depends if it’s a “traditional” checkride (which some airlines still have as well as corporate flight depts.) vs AQP (Advanced Qualification Program gives airlines more flexibility in their training programs based on data from their safety programs). The traditional Type/ATP is very straight forward. Normal takeoff, aborted takeoff, maneuvers (stalls, steep turns), ILS, V1 cut, single engine approach and at least 1 non-precision approach and you’re done. The focus is solely on the pilot and his technical abilities. AQP expands things to consider the crew environment and real world situations pilots work under. You can fly like Yeager but if you can’t function as part of a crew you will fail. That said they still need to make sure you can fly so first there’s a Maneuvers Validation where you’ll perform basically everything listed above in the traditional Type ride. Thing is, that’s not the actual or final check. The ATP/Type Ride is the LOE (Line Operational Experience). The LOE is a line flight (performed in the sim) but it’s based on a REAL flight and is done in REAL time. The instructor will be ATC, the FAs etc but offers no input or assistance. You’re given the paper and have X amount of time to get setup, push, taxi out etc. It starts and the gate and finishes when you park and at most airlines this is the jeopardy event. Again, you can nail every maneuver perfectly but if you can’t safely operate as a crewmember you bust.

Both have oral and knowledge exam requirements.

Adam

1 Like

Kevin,

An ATP ride is usually an oral, followed by four hours in the simulator (two for each pilot as checkrides are taken in pairs).

Chris

Building on that, if you do the ATP-CTP program at a regional airline, are you likely to take your checkride in a CRJ or ERJ simulator (or whatever aircraft that company operates). I heard ATP flight school offers an ATP-CTP course and utilizes an A320 full motion simulator. If you go through that program, then go to a regional, at that point all you’d have to do is the type rating checkride for the different aircraft, right?

Kevin,

If you do your ATP-CTP at a Regional, you’re not “likely” to take your checkride in a CRJ/ERJ sim, you will! Yes you are correct. If you already have your ATP any additional airplanes your trained on will be Type Ratings.

Adam

Kevin,

Hang on. I need to clarify something. All ATP CTP training does is make you eligible to take the ATM written test. Yes, there is a sim portion during ATP CTP. Mine was in an A320, but each training center is different. Again, completing the ATP CTP course just makes you eligible to take the ATM. Also, it doesn’t prepare you to pass the ATM. Preparing for the ATM is on you. I used Sheppard. Worked great.

Once you complete ATP CTP and receive a passing score on the ATM, then you will start training in the aircraft that you will be flying at a regional. At the end of training, you will take your ATP/Type rating check ride in a sim.

Tory

Resurrecting an old thread here to hopefully answer a related question: I am ATP/CTP complete, passed the ATM, got 40 or so hours in CRJ sims through Maneuvers Validation, sent home during COVID shutdown with three sims left before completion of LOFT and final type/ATP check ride- no failures or issues along the way. Do I have an ATP and no type rating or do I have nothing?

I really think you answered your own question. If you didn’t complete your sims and never had your LOFT or checkride, then no, you don’t have an ATP or Type.

Adam

Hey Neil!

Yeah so you’ve come a long way for sure and it is unfortunate that you had to discontinue your training right before your checkride, but unfortunately you don’t have an ATP or Type quite yet. You need to take that checkride.

Will it be too much longer before you can jump back in to finish your training?

Tory

1 Like

Copy thanks for the responses. It was my understanding that I didn’t have the ATP but I have encountered some peer advice and internet literature recently that says no check ride required- just ATP-CTP, and pass the exam. Sounded fishy. I passed up the opportunity to come back to SkyWest earlier this year to work Aircrew Training and Standardization for a local defense contractor. An ATP would definitely help my street cred as many don’t understand my military instructor qualifications- worth asking the experts to be sure. Thanks!

Neil,

A good way to see exactly what you have is to look yourself up on the Airmen Registry:

https://amsrvs.registry.faa.gov/airmeninquiry/

That being said, if you were never issued a FAA certificate that says ATP on it, then you do not have an ATP.

Chris

Do airline pay for your type rating or ATP if they’re interested in hiring you?

Yassin,

If/when you’re hired the airline will train you for your ATP and your type will be part of that training.

Adam

Yassin,

When you receive a class date and go to training at a regional, not only is the airline paying for your training (ATP & Type), you are also getting paid through training. It’s typically a minimum hourly pay like you would get on reserve.

Hannah