Asia Flying

Is it realistic to go to Asia early on to build flight hours and get rank and eventually PIC? Eventually I would want to settle down and have kids and have them grow up in America but their early life could be spent overseas. I know Asia is in a HUGE pilot crisis so it is probably a lot easier to get a job. Moving isn’t a part of the issue and I would love getting to taste another part of the world. Just wondering if it is a viable option

Brennan,

Adam is more knowledgeable on this topic, but the short answer is no. Asia is facing a pilot shortage, but they need highly experienced pilots, not people that are just starting out. Spend some time looking at job postings online (specifically the flight time requirements) and you will see what I mean by this.

Chris

1 Like

Brennan,

Chris right on both counts. I do have many friends flying in Asia (I came dangerously close to going myself) BUT Asia is looking for VERY experienced pilots. Check any of the Asian aviation recruiters (Wasinc, Rishworth, Parc) they ALL are looking for Type rated Capts with time in Type. The fact is Asia has a many pilots but the way the regs are set up it’s very difficult for many FO’s to get flight time because unless they’re flying with a Check Pilot they can’t touch the controls and therefore it takes years to make Capt. Hiring American Capts allows them to short cut the system and fill the gap.

As I said I know quite a few pilots in Asia, some happy, some not. Pay is good, work rules are not. If you’re young and want to give it a shot I say go but again you won’t be going with low-time.

Adam

1 Like

Yeah i looked at the flight times but i thought i was looking at the wrong site! Crazy their restrictions are so high with such a huge pilot shortage approaching. They’re gonna have to do something about that.

It’s been years and they haven’t yet?

Adam

1 Like