And so it begins

Hello Everyone! Starting out, I have been reading these forums since about last November. I have to say they are packed with knowledge and nice people. Sergey and Peter Banning (don’t think that’s his real name) both had great posts that helped with this decision, and also a thank you to the 3 mentors on here.

Getting down to it, I’ll be starting at LZU in May. I signed up for ATP about two weeks ago so that I could get a start on studying for my remaining written tests. Another big thing, I passed my PPL checkride yesterday evening. It was a fun flight with probably the coolest DPE ever. Granted I’ve only taken one checkride so I don’t have much to go on there. It feels like such a huge jump from student to PPL. Still plenty of learning to go and I’m looking forward to it. Hopefully in a month or so, I’ll have an update for you all with all my written tests completed.

1 Like

Congratulations, Kelly! It’s going to be on heck of a ride… You are coming in with a tremendous advantage having completed your PPL and give yourself a huge pat on the back for passing that checkride. It IS a huge jump! You went from student to PIC! From the psychological standpoint, PPL stage was the toughest one for me to get through. Instrument only took a month and a half or so and was by far my favorite training experience.
My roommates that came in with their PPLs in January are getting ready to take their Commercial checkrides at this time, and one is already scheduled for CFI school. It goes by fast!

Don’t forget—since you’re studying for your IRA already, you should schedule and take your FII and IGI (if desired) on the same day.
Once again, congratulations and feel free to reach out and ask questions! This industry thrives on mentorship.

Huge Congrats on the Checkride pass. I’m at the LZU location now just about to start Instrument Phase. If I had any advice it’d be get atleast the instrument written out of the way. If not your CAX as well.

Kelly,

Congratulations on passing your PPL ride!

Thank you for the introduction. Please keep us up to date as you go through the program.

Chris

Kelly,

Relish in the victory! Looking forward to supporting you through the rest of your journey.

Tory

Hey Guys,

I’m back with an update, and I’ve had quite the busy month. Today, I finished my last written exam (FOI) and that is quite a relief. I can take a little break from studying before I start up at LZU in a couple weeks. I still have about 8 hours of time build to do beforehand, so I have a couple of fun cross country flights to plan.

For anyone curious on how fast you can complete the written tests, my advice would just be to start working on them and see. Only you will be able to make reliable estimates for your own progress. For reference, I got the IRA prep software from Sheppard Air on the 23rd of March. Since then, I have taken the IRA, FII, IGI, CAX, FIA, and FOI. Sheppard Air worked great. I went into each test feeling very prepared, and it showed with my lowest score being a 98. Just follow their study instructions, for the most part, and put in time. Before you know it, you will be ready to take your written.

Also, for anyone preparing for IRA, I would recommend you take the FII written the same day. The FII test bank is a shrunk down version of the IRA with only a couple new questions. The IGI was similar as well, with some additional helicopter questions added.

Kelly

5 Likes

Great to hear Kelly!

I was told CAX and FIA were pretty close like IRA and FII did you find that true?

Watch out! Kelly’s on the move! :grin:

Tom,

The CAX and FIA had some similar content, but the test banks were different. I would recommend going through Sheppard Air for each one individually.

Kelly

Kelly,

Great work on the writtens! That will be a huge help to you in the program. Keep up the good work.

Chris

Awesome! Thanks for the recent knowledge. For the most part in here it was the same mindset but it stuck with me when I heard it and am happy to have found a recent taker. I will hopefully be going for IRA/FII by the end of this week if not beginning of next week. Good luck with the program and enjoy your few weeks of “rest”

Congrats Kelly!

Did you feel that the weight and balance/performance questions on the actual CAX written exam were more complicated than the Sheppard Air test bank? I’ve seen some people say that the actual test questions were a little more complex than what was on Sheppard Air.

Cody,

I did not feel like there was any difference. If you understand the math and how to use your E6B, you should be plenty prepared for the balance/performance questions.

1 Like