Real Answers from Real Pilots

American Airlines Cadet Program Application

I’m interested in going there myself. Do you mind messaging me on instagram @6andersons ?

Anyone starting on June 4 at Americans Flyers in Pompano Beach?

Hi! Anyone have an interview in DFW on June 4?

1 Like

Hello everyone,
I just applied to the AA Cadet program a few days ago. Just wondering, about how much did you guys write for each question in the questionaiire section of the application?
Also, for those who were accepted: did you have flight hours? Was anyone accepted with no previous flight experience?

Thanks!

Hey Mohamed,

For the answers in the questionnaire, I was honest, some of those questions do not need to be complete essay answers they want to know who you are. I was accepted with no flight hours, I have flown in planes with friends, with them letting me take the controls and I told them that was my experience.

I did my video interview about a week ago and heard back today! I got selected for the face to face interview in DFW! I am so excited!

Congrats, Miguel! That’s awesome! When is your interview?

1 Like

Thanks Christina! My interview date is June 17th! Have you gotten your flight info and hotel info?

Yeah! They sent me my flight info a couple days after I sent in my flight info to them. They will send your hotel and interview itinerary a week before your interview!! Good luck!! Let us know how it goes!! :slight_smile: WHEN you get accepted, do you know where you want to do your training?! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Haha! I like the confidence, thank you! I keep hearing that the aptitude test will drain you! :grimacing::grimacing:. I want to do my training at American Flyers near the Dallas area! How about you?

Had to deny the AA Cadet Program last week and I’m so disappointed… I really wanted that on my resume! I was accepted and all ready to go, but I encountered a ridiculous requirement from the flight school that partners with the AA Cadet Program. The program currently partners with 4 schools ; American Flyers, CAE, CTI and Coast Flight. I planned on attending Coast Flight in San Diego with an August 1st start date. Things got weird when I mentioned that I would be paying out of pocket and didn’t need the Discover Financing, then when I explained to the school I only lived 30 minutes away from the training facility and I wouldn’t need to pay for housing or food… they got even more weird. They said it’s mandatory to live with the other 3 Cadets full time (They group Cadets in 4’s), in an apartment and to pay the extra 16k regardless my situation. I own a house, I’m married and have 2 children… doesn’t make sense for me to waste money on a living situation thats not necessary, especially when I live 15 miles way. It’s still possible to be fully immersive without living the flight school housing. Anyways, I wrote the Cadet Program expressing my concerns and disbelief but they fully defended the flight school and their requirements by saying " The total immersion is essential to the success of the cadets and the program, and the housing is the key catalyst". Come on guys… this isn’t the military and I’m not a single frat kid wanting to live on a college campus… its flight school. Maybe its a blessing in disguise because it took me days to get a response from Coast Flight by email or even phone call from day 1… I’m serious when I say that nobody ever answered the phone the dozens times I called and that could be a sign of organization and accountability, or maybe a lack of staff. It just didn’t feel like a good first impression. In Coast Flight defense they only have 2 schools nationwide, ATP has over 30. That being said, every time I called ATP they answered on the second ring and followed up with me on a regular basis. Oh yea, and they don’t require you to spend money that’s unnecessary… like 16k unnecessary. So, I’ll be attending ATP in Carlsbad and I’ll purse the Envoy Program. The other flight schools may be flexible, I haven’t called them regarding the living situation in relation to the Cadet Program, but I can speak for Coast Flight when I say they won’t budge when it comes to the AA Cadet requirements, living situation and expenses. So, If you’re single, live in Southern California, completely flexible and don’t care about saving money then Coast Flight in San Diego is the perfect match for the AA Cadet Program. I’ve heard excellent things about Coast Flight from current and former regular students, so it’s no doubt in my mind they have a great program. That being said, If you happen to be in my situation and think you’re in luck by being selected for the AA Cadet Program and live next to a partner school and can avoid the schools living expenses… I recommend you do your research and make calls.

5 Likes

Did you get accepted?

Hello everyone,

I will begin my training at Coast Flight school through the AA Program in July. I was just curious if anyone here will begin their training next month as well. If anyone is or who will be attending the school in the future would like to get in contact, you can reach me via email at hunterhayden98@gmail.com. I wish the best for anyone who is currently in the application process and hope to hear from you guys soon!

1 Like

Look up Luigi Ribera, I don’t know if he goes on here anymore, but he will be at coast flight in July as well through the AA program, I will be there end of this year through the AA program as well

2 Likes

Good luck tomorrow Christina! I hope you get selected! My Instagram is aggiepilot_19 I would love to talk more about our experiences.

Stephen,

Is this just an AA Cadet problem with the school? I have researched Coast Flight, got my call answered right away and received an email within a couple hours every time. Sorry to hear that it has gone poorly for you. Good luck going forward!

Jason

1 Like

Thanks Jason! I’m very happy with my recent ATP experience and I just locked in my start date and price, so the future is looking good haha. Regarding your question…It could be a problem I randomly experienced with Coast Flight, for your sake I‘m glad to hear they are responsive and meeting your needs. I’ve heard great things from other students who’ve attended the school not using the Cadet Program and new Cadets just getting involved. I’m not sure whether or not Coast Flight is more attentive to a normal student verses Cadets … I doubt it and I’m sure it’s all treated the same. The CadetAcademy is a very new program and I’m positive the flight schools involved will make adjustments to meet the needs of Cadets in the future such as eliminating required / mandatory housing, otherwise promising selected Cadets will have to turn down a good opportunity… At least ones in my position.

1 Like

Thank you!! I believe it went well, fingers crossed! I just msg you on IG!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sorry to hear that. If I were you I would’ve walked in and showed proof you can cover the costs and explain the situation a little bit more. But what you said is absolutely true, you have to move into the apartment next door, not completely sure why though. And you live 30 minutes away so you’re probably super close to ATP, you should go there.

1 Like

Thanks Muhamed, I tried every angle to increase my chances of attending Coast Flight without having to live in the housing required, they wouldn’t budge. I even considered paying the extra money without having to live in the apartments but it’s still the flight schools requirement. Additionally, distance isn’t an issue for me either. ATP might be more convenient but I really wanted The Cadet Academy on my resume and even though American Airlines legally can’t tell you Cadets have an upper hand when it comes to interviews and hiring… they do. The being said, this whole situation and experience was deflating and won’t work because I choose to live nearby with my wife and kids instead of 3 other cadets. But life goes on! And good news is ATP will most likely be a more flexible route to obtaining my CPL and getting hired (obviously this depends on the pace of the students and ability to pass tests/check rides/etc). Coast Flight has a “no employment” rule while attending the school… for example if you want to work a Part 135 job with low flight hours instead of instructing… you can’t. Turns out ATP is the better option for my situation and I would of saved lots of time if the AA interviewers mentioned the different flight schools requirements.