Airlines and upper arm tattoos

Alright I know the answer is they have to be covered by uniform. I’m wondering how well mine would be covered by a short sleeve pilot shirt to begin with. It’s about mid inner bicep and with a polo/golf shirt on it is hardly noticeable unless I reach up for something.

Aren’t uniform shirts on the longer side for short sleeves? I usually roll my dress shirts (for my current corporate job) up to between the elbow and mid bicep and no one is the wiser. Attached a picture for reference, hopefully the length I rolled sleeves to is about right for a pilot shirt sleeve length

Will,

If and when the time comes you’ll have to see. Different shirt makers have different length sleeves. You’ll either need to find one that covers or you’ll be wearing long sleeves.

Adam

@Adam

I figured that may be the answer. Guess airlines are not going to budge even if it’s just a little visible.

For whatever reason it does seem the shirts have longer than average lengths even for short sleeve shirts.

Are they primarily looking for if it’s visible when at an arms down, standing position?

Will,

They are looking for if it is visible, period. Arms up, arms to the side, arms down, it can’t be visible. If it is visible in any position, you will either need to wear long sleeves or have it removed.

Chris

Will,

There is no budge and I’m not sure why you think there would be? As Chris said the rule is CRYSTAL clear. No visible tattoos. It’s either visible or it’s not. Pretty simple.

Adam

I understand. Was just asking for clarification for how visible is defined.

Thanks guys, sleeves it is… Unless somehow the shirt covers

Will,

Not trying to beat a dead horse here, but the airlines are just like the FAA. There is no room for redefining regulations, putting your own spin on them, etc. there are no gray areas. Something either is or it isn’t. So they define visible as well, visible.

Chris

Guess I’ll cross that bridge when I get to it, used to dress shirt and slacks on the daily as it is anyway.

I came across this video the other day because I was wondering the same thing. I promise it’s not spam. It’s from Captain Joe- He’s got a really great channel on YT all things aviation.

Actually watched that last night when I was googling the topic. It makes sense in all reality