Airline Pilot Bachelor's Degree

Jose,

SkyWest and all the Regionals are very lenient when it comes to 4yr degrees since none is required.

Adam

Lets say I have a bachelors degree and than I go to ATP and fly my required hours. Do I have to start off at a regional or can I go to a major airlines right out of ATP.

Andrew,

You will absolutely need to go to a regional, regardless of whether or not you have a degree. The majors are the apex of commercial aviation, they want pilots with thousands of hours of flight time and college degrees.

Chris

Andrew,

Read through the FAQ section. If you still have questions, get back to us. https://airlinepilot.life/c/Ask-your-questions-and-get-real-answers-from-real-pilots/frequently-asked-questions

Tory

Andrew,

Let me ask you a question? As you said you have your degree, completed your training and built the required min hours, what would make YOU a better candidate than the thousands of Regional pilots out there who have everything you have PLUS 4 times the flight experience including flying jets for an airline?

Adam

Adam,

Thank you for the response.

Now, letā€™s say I want to go for an associates in aviation first, and comes with PPL, IFR, CPL, CFI, CFII, MEI. While working for a regional like SkWest specifically, are lenient with me trying to finish the 4yr program and working at the same time ? Thanks

Jose,

Iā€™m not really sure what you mean by lenient? While airlines will place restrictions on working certain jobs while employed as a pilot (other flying jobs, dealing crack, etc) what you do in your down time is up to you. Many pilots complete their degreeā€™s while flying for Regionals but do so online which is fine. But if youā€™re asking if theyā€™ll give you additional time off or something so you can actually attend school I assure you they will not.

Adam

Good day, Iā€™m 18 and Iā€™m taking the first few steps into my career in aviation , I would love a pilot in the U.S to help me out here, Iā€™d love yo be a Commercial Airline pilot someday , do I or do I not NEED a degree???

Ismael,

You say ā€œa pilot in the USā€ implying you are not? If you want to fly for a Major airline IN the US you will need a degree, for US Regional airline you donā€™t. If youā€™re planning on flying in your own country youā€™ll have to check with the airlines in your area. If you would like to fly in the US know that before you can train you have to complete a very thorough background check and to work as a pilot you must be either a citizen or have resident status.

Adam

I am in the US , but what Iā€™m asking is that for the Commercials , would I need a degree? Or not

Adam,

Thank you for the information. And yes, I was wondering if on the down time Iā€™d be able to finish the degree, online of course.

Thanks

Jose,

The regionals will not be ā€œlenientā€ to you because you are working on a degree, they will expect you to complete your job just like anybody else. However, you should have a decent amount of free time at the regional to work on your education. It will mean that you will not have the free time that your peers will and it will be hard work, but it is certainly doable.

Chris

Ismael,

Adam very clearly answered your question in his post.

Chris

Ismael,

Again Regionals do not require a degree. When it comes to the Majors, while most also donā€™t require a degree, they ALL prefer one. The question becomes youā€™ve got 2 pilots. Both have all the same licenses, ratings and flight time, but only one has a degree. Meaning (in the eyes of the Major) that the individual has the ability to commit and complete a 4yr program which they ALL state again they prefer. So why would they hire the pilot without?

Adam

Good Day Sir

Ive got a question. I come from the island of saint lucia, i am not a U.S citizen or resident ,
but i do however obtain a vallied U.S Visa,
My goal is to finish my 4 year degree, then start off my flight training. My question is do i need to be a united states citizen to work for any airlines in the U.S ? its been one of my major concerns for a while now. Your response is much appreciated.

Regards

Kezley,

You will need to be a US citizen or permanent US legal resident to work as a pilot in the US or to train with ATP.

Chris

Good Day Sir

Thank you very much for your response,

ive got another question for you sir,

So are you saying that i will need to be a U.s resident or citizen to train with ATP ?

Regards,

Kezley,

Yes, that is correct.

Hello Everyone,

I am currently studying at college and majoring in Computer Science. However, after a year of studying I realized that CS is not really my thing. I found an interest in Business and Economics but I am conflicted whether I should stay with CS (because a lot of people say its the safest bet) or move on to another major. So i was wondering if anyone can give me an advice ? Of course, my main question is does specific degree matter in terms of getting employed by a Major.

Thank you

Dan,

This question gets asked and answered daily. The Majors want a degree but donā€™t care the field. Study what you like.

Adam