Airline Pilot Bachelor's Degree

I was just researching possible career paths after high school, and being an airline pilot really stood out to me. I was considering two options, first would be better to try to get my associates degree at our local community college, finish ATP and go for bachelor’s degree part time while building flight hours. My second option would be to finish my bachelor’s degree before going to ATP. What is the better option, and what did you do?

Brandon,

Both of your options are great options and are routes that have been followed by many before you. I personally finished my bachelor’s, then went to ATP and that is the route that I generally recommend as I feel it is just easier to finish one thing at a time instead of muddying the waters. That being said, many people have gone the first route you described and done well. It will really just depend on what path you want to take.

Chris

2 Likes

Brandon,

As Chris said either is fine. Personally I lean towards the getting your BA first only because of my own personal limitations (ie, I’m lazy). Many times over the years of thought about earning advanced degrees online and I simply don’t have the discipline to buckle down and do it. If you honestly think you can, the fact is you’ll get flying (and a seniority number) much faster if you go the 2yr first route. Just be honest with yourself.

Adam

Brandon,

I used to recommend the first route to prospective students, but lately I am finding that I would prefer to finish a 4 year degree, get it completely out of the way as soon as you can, and then move on to flight training.
I’ll put it this way… having to go back to class at a later age, after you have enjoyed the “freedom” of life after school, just plain sucks. I am working on a 4 year degree now as I am flying at SkyWest, and although it isn’t hard at all, its just a pain to have to deal with all the time.

Yarden

Thanks for your responses. I was wondering if I was planning on becoming an airline pilot, is there a specific degree I should try to get or specific classes I should take? None of the 4 year colleges in the state I live in (Oregon) offer any aviation bachelor degrees and I would like to not pay more money in out of state tuition.

Also since from what I’ve researched you get payed below the average American’s income (~50k a year) until you get into a major airline, how did you manage to pay for living expenses and college/flight school debt while working for regional airlines?

Brandon,

Your degree cane in anything. Pick something that interests you and that could serve as a good backup plan should flying not work out for whatever reason. For example, my degree is in Business Administration.

Regional airline pay has increased dramatically int he last few years, with many airlines having a first year pay of around $60,000 Check out this link for more information: http://pilotjobs.atpflightschool.com/2015/02/09/regional-airlines-are-offering-signing-and-retention-bonuses-to-pilots/ Also, keep in mind that the Tuition Assistance program can help with your loan payments: https://atpflightschool.com/airline-career-pilot-program/tuition-reimbursement.html

Chris

Quick question sir ,
I got an international bachelor s , french program in computer sciences , I’m back to US now , and I want to do ATP flight school, there is anything should I know about my degree if its qualified or anything like that ?
btw ,I can continue my master at any university inside the US, is it the same with ATP FL ??
thanks in advance

I got an international bachelor s , french program in computer sciences , I’m back to US now , and I want to do ATP flight school, there is anything should I know about my degree if its qualified or anything like that ?
btw ,I can continue my master at any university inside the US, is it the same with ATP FL ??
thanks in advance

Brandon,

Not sure where you got your info but as Chris pointed out Regional salaries (while not spectacular) have come up considerably (my last few years at ExpressJet I made over $100k). That said (as with ANY entry level position) your first few years can be lean. Those with the desire and dedication sacrifice knowing why they do what we do. Others don’t think it’s worth it. Your call.

Adam

Adnane,

As far as whether your degree is qualifying that’s going to be something between you and your future employers. Not sure what you’re asking regarding ATP FL? ATP is a flight school not a University.

Adam

If you have an accredited degree from your country’s degree granting institution i.e the government in most countries, it’s just as good as a US bachelors degree. You already fulfilled that requirements. You can check accreditation of most unversities online. Save the money for flight training instead doing a masters

I got a bachelors and a masters and then went to ATP. I don’t know if I’d suggest the masters unless there is a topic you are really into. My degrees are in accounting and while it doesn’t directly cross over, the study and critical thinking skills that I honed down in college are paying off now.

Adam
I meant that according to the state s university my degree is accredited , but i ain’t doing Master degree , my target is the ATP flight school ,
and what you meant with " that’s going to be something between you and your future employers" ?
why my future employers will care about my bachelor? as long as I have my Commercial license .
why a such thing matter ? and thanks you

Adnane

Adnane,

Because the Major airlines require a 4yr degree, not just a pilot’s license. As long as your degree is accredited you’ll be fine but yes it matters.

Adam

Adam ,
okay ,
thanks M.Adam for your time
it was pleasure talk to you

Adnane

@BrandonZ Thank you for being in the same boat as me lol. I thought I was the only aspiring pilot trying to figure this out. It just worries me that after I graduate, there won’t be as many airlines hiring since the “baby boomer” shortage seems to be approaching very quickly. I have 2 total hours of flight time with a friend of mine so I’d be starting from scratch after graduation. @Adam @Chris @Yarden what’s your take on this?

**Anticipated graduation date from ERAU (online) is may 2019

Tyler,

I am not sure what the “baby boomer” shortage is, but there is a real and pressing shortage of pilots that is not forecast to let up anytime soon. I wouldn’t worry too much about not being able to find a job in the industry, but with all things I wouldn’t wait too long.

Chris

Tyler,

Not sure exactly what you’re referring to when you say the “baby boomer shortage seems to be approaching quickly”? There is no “shortage approaching” as we are currently DEEP in it and while from the airlines point a view that’s bad for the pilot’s it’s a VERY good thing (basic supply and demand). Regionals are actively recruiting, doubling salaries and offering hiring/retention bonuses and tuition reimbursement. The shortage is forecast to continue for many years to come so again I’m not really sure what you’re worried about?

As one of the last of the baby boomers may I say you millennials are extremely fortunate :slight_smile:

Adam

Good Morning Yarden. How lenient is SkyWest when it comes to you as a FO finishing the 4yr degree? Thank you .