Airline Pilot as a career after COVID-19

Hello everyone!

I’m new to the forum and wanted to ask about the outlook for becoming a commercial pilot after COVID-19.

I am 24 years old, currently hold a PPL with about 165 hours. I am interested in an ATP school and plan to enroll once I get my 1st class medical (“jumping through hoops” at the moment).

I’ve wanted to become a commercial pilot ever since I was little and I want to get on the path, I just want to know what you all think the industry will look like years down the road when I’ve got my hours, ratings, etc and am ready to be hired. I know things have been rocky these past few months. Thank you for your answers!

Also a side question: Do airlines care about your difficulty in obtaining a medical or do they just simply care that you have one? Are you looked at any differently if it’s a special issuance? TIA!

Anthony,

There have been a number of threads on the subject. I appreciate with all that’s going on in the industry (and worldwide) this could seem like a scary and uncertain time to pursue a career in aviation. I think there are a few things to keep in mind.

First this pandemic will end. While no one is certain when I don’t see the world falling into some post-apocalyptic landscape out of Mad Max (if it does then it really doesn’t matter what you do). When we do recover people will begin to travel again and the planes will be flying.

Second, before CV19 there was a worldwide pilot shortage and that hasn’t changed. The industry may have been given a temporary reprieve but nothing has changed as far as the supply of pilots. The fact is the number one furlough mitigation tool used by the airlines has been early retirements. This in effect actually exacerbated the situation as it shortens the lifespan of many pilot careers. Once the industry recovers the airlines will need bodies. Those trained and ready will be in a great position, those who aren’t will be playing catchup. Make sense?

Adam

Anthony,

Welcome to the forums. The aviation industry will recover, it always does. Those who train now and build their qualifications will likely be some of the first to get hired when hiring resumes. Those who wait to start training until things improve will be behind the curve and end up being first officers for those who train earlier. We live in a society that likes to be on the move. Many analysts think that there will be a big return to air travel once there is a vaccine, I would agree with that. Even in the current environment, corporate operators are still hiring pilots.

My understanding of medicals is that as long as it is a first class medical without restrictions, you should be fine. I would recommend calling the recruiting departments at a few regionals though just to be sure.

Chris