Airline Career Pilot Program: 40-hour Multi vs. 100-hour Multi-engine Option

Gaurav,

I am glad to hear that you are almost finished with the program. How did it go? Are you excited to be instructing soon?

Chris

it was better then I had expected, to be finished so quick, and be that much closer to that right seat in the jetā€¦ I am beyond excited :-).

Gaurav,

I will pass on some very valuable advice that I received when I was a new CFI. A wise man, Walt Schammel, told my class:

ā€œRemember that as a CFI, you are not here to build time for the airlines. You are to be the best CFI you can possibly be for your students, if you do that, the hours will follow in droves.ā€

Chris

3 Likes

Funny you should say that cause thatā€™s exactly how I feel. I was lucky enough to have senior instructors all the way thru the program and the wealth of knowledge they passed on to me along with inspiring me to continue learning, is unsurpassable.

I want to be able to do the same for students that Iā€™d get, hours will come but itā€™s the journey that I want to make memorable and along the way inspire students to achieve more :slight_smile:

That is a fantastic attitude to have. Keep it up and you will go far!

2 Likes

Did you instruct at ATP?

Great info!! This is definitely helping me!!

CJ

Hello, All. I found this thread Beyond helpful and informational. However, after reading through every response, I have one specific question. I know most all the CFIā€™s on here are recommending the 40hr over the +100hr if you are intending to become a CFI with ATP anyway. And right now, my intentions are to do just that. From everything I have read, this seems the best and most logical path. However, I have also read that while instructing with ATP, one has the opportunity to interview with the regional airlines for internship/tuition reimbursement assistance. If I am particularly interested in interviewing for the Envoy Air Cadet and the United Aviate programs, will the 40hr certification be enough to be considered for them? Or would they rather see the +100hr certification? Like most here, money is DEFINITELY an issue. That being said, I want to do everything I can to ensure the best results for my career.

Also, Iā€™m looking at the KC (MKC) location because I have family I could stay with there rather than having to afford housing. However, the KC location only offers the 40hr option. So, my question is, if itā€™s suggested that I select the +100hr ME option for better opportunities with the Envoy and United cadet programs, would I still be able to select the KC location? Would they then send me to a ME location to finish? Iā€™m highly doubting it but, you never know if you donā€™t askā€¦

Thanks in advance for your help and insight.

Stephen,

I believe the 40-hour Multi-Engine program is outdated; this thread dates back to 2017, the only options ATP offers at this time is a 25-hour and 100-hour Multi-Engine. The 25-hour program is sufficient if your goal is airlines; reason being is that the minimum for the airlines is 25 hours of ME time. If you where looking at a corporate or charter gig, the 100-hour program would better suit that because it gives you moreā€¦well, ME time. Also it sounds like you have a pretty sweet hook-up at the Kansas City location since you have family, that would minimize the extra costs of housing.

To answer your question regarding the Envoy Air Cadet and United Aviate programs, the 25 hour program is sufficient.

Brady

1 Like

Brady! Thanks so much for the quick response. And Ha! Embarrassing! From everything Iā€™ve read before about ATP, I actually knew it was only the 25hr and not the 40hr. I had been reading this and clearly had it on my brain. Too funny. Haha.

But also, thank you for clarifying about the +100hrs ME for corporate/charter side vs airline side, and also about the 25hrs being enough for the Envoy and United programs. That is exactly what I was wondering and I appreciate your help.

Thanks again.

Stephen,

No worries! Everything in our brains can get mixed up from all the information on this forum, trust meā€¦I have to sometimes go digging through older threads to find an answer before I respond, ha. Itā€™s like a research paper sometimes, I go through tens of posts to find a reference that is relative to a current question.

Weā€™re here to help, please let us know if you have any other questions!

Brady

1 Like

Stephen,
The 25 hr program provides everything that you need to qualify for tuition reimbursement programs and cadet programs without any additional expense. You would not be disadvantaged at all by doing that option. The 100 hr is simply an option best suited to people needing additional multi time for 135 or 91 jobs.

-Hannah

1 Like

Perfect! Thanks so much for getting back! So glad to know I can forgo that extra expense! :pray:t3: Once I get a cosigner for the loan, Iā€™m there! Canā€™t wait to start this career. Itā€™s been a long lost dream of mine since childhood. Glad to finally be working towards it!

ALSO!!! Congratulations on your move to Skywest! Soak up the sand and sun and then go kill it out there! Wish you nothing but the best of success! :raised_hands:t3:

Steph

Stephen,
Glad to help! Please due keep us updated on your journeyā€¦
thank you thank you! I start indoc tomorrow so Iā€™m quite nervous but excited! Iā€™ll try to post updates when I can!

-Hannah

1 Like

Hi Chris,

I am really excited to attend ATP. As I continue to do my research on flight school, I am interested in the 100-hour multi-engine option but unfortunately, they do not offer the course in all locations. Here is my dilemma, hopefully you can help me work through the two options.

I can attend the ATP school in Tuscan, AZ which I will have free housing and living expnses provided (which is a huge cost savings), but they do not offer 100-hour multi-engine. Other option would be a lot more money, housing, living expenses and the extra 11,000.00 to attend school in a different ATP location.

Any advice and or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

Lena,

Iā€™m sure Chris will answer but Iā€™m going to chime in. Iā€™m a huge fan of the 100ME as I feel it gives you more time in a complex airplane and having that extra time may give you more options IF youā€™re thinking of flying corporate or taking other non-traditional routes. If however your goal is to be airline pilot and you plan on taking the traditional route (train, instruct to build time, get hired at a Regional) then itā€™s really not necessary.

Long/short if money isnā€™t a consideration or concern then by all means do the 100hrs but if it is Iā€™d probably save the cash.

Adam

Lena,

I think the 100 hr multi program is great for select people:

1. People that want to go the non-traditional route and fly part 135 where qualifications are broad and applicants are extremely competitive.

2. Itā€™s at your location and you have a little extra cash laying around.

Unless you fall in to box 1, I wouldnā€™t completely scrap your current plan. There is a lot to be said for staying close to home, with financial security and stability. That will go a long way to making sure your sole focus is on being successful in training. If you plan on time building, going to the regionals with the minimum time, you wonā€™t be at any disadvantage. Youā€™d be just like most applicants that start building multi time at the regionals.

Hannah

1 Like

Lena,

Before I answer it would be helpful to know why you are interested in the 100 hour program. For most students it is not necessary.

Chris

Hello,

Thanks for asking the question. I would think it would help get me instructing sooner with the extra multi-engine time and you can earn an additional 750.00 per month while instructing. How does the process work for getting hired as an instructor at ATP Flight School?

From what I have read, having 100 hours of multi-engine experience gives you the competitive edge for entry-level corporate and part 135 flying opportunities, and allows you to explore more low-time flying job options before moving on to the airlines.

Thank you for your time.

Lena

Lena,

That is correct. The extra multi time is good to build your resume for other low time flying jobs or part 135 gigs. Thatā€™s why we asked earlier what your goal is. If itā€™s staying on the traditional track to the regionals via flight instructing, the multi program isnā€™t necessary. Most students opt for the traditional route. However, if you want to explore your options and potentially fly other jobs building time outside of the ATP environment the multi program would be a good plan.

Once you graduate from the program, your student performance will be reviewed and without any major issues, you could be granted the opportunity to instruct for ATP. You will review the list of available locations and be assigned an Indoc class date. After a week of Indoc, you will head to your location and do a day of on-site Indoc with the lead flight instructor. From that point, youā€™ll be assigned your first student and be on your way.

Completing the 100 hr multi program makes you eligible for a multi engine standardization instructor position. However, it doesnā€™t guarantee one. They are very valuable positions and granted to those who have earned them. With that comes quality multi engine time plus the added income per month.

Hannah