Age and commercial pilot goal

Chris,
Leaving the Insurance industry. I was active duty AF for 9 years. Did some guard time as well, but when I was in they were banking pilots and unless you were a ring knocker flight options were almost impossible.

Got it. Good luck in the program and please keep us up to date.

1 Like

Chris,

Will do !! Looking forward to working hard and getting done, fast, but more importantly, proficient!!
CJ

I am 55 with 1750 TT and 600 multi. I have not flown much in 25 years. I am currently hitting the books and planning on a BFR and IPC. I would be happy staying in the Regionals for the rest of my career and moving to Captain in 3 years Is this doable? I would also be leaving a low 6 figure job. What can I anticipate as far as income with bonuses? I am also thing oh getting my ATP-CTP on my own dime. Thanks

Mark,

Yes it’s doable and your goals are quite realistic. The only real ? is will you upgrade to Capt in 3yrs? Not saying you won’t but that depends on movement within the specific airline and the industry as well which no one can predict or guarantee. As for pay first year at most of the Regionals is just shy of $40k plus most are offering $10-20k in hiring and retention bonuses the first year or 2. After that you’ll be low $40’s till you upgrade then you’ll be in the $75-80k range and creep up to around $100.

I wouldn’t waste my time or money with the ATP-CTP. Once you get current you’ll get hired and the airline will train and pay for it themselves.

Adam

Thanks. Even taking longer then 3 years does not bother me. I am not looking to fast track or enter the majors. I would just like to get back to some good steady flying for as long as I am able.

Adam or Chris,

I am 36 with my PPL and about 80 hours. What is realistic for me? I figure I could finish the rest of my ratings in 6-8 months and then get the rest of my hours in 12 months or so. Based on what you are saying this would put me at 43 years old after spending 6 years at a regional, is it realistic for me to get on with a Major?

Also I would need to take a pay decrease, how soon would it take to get to 100K at a regional?
Are there concerns with being furloughed in the future?

Just trying to decide as I have a mortgage, wife and 3 kids.

Thanks,

Tyler

Tyler,

Good questions. Some I have answers for, some are more open.

If you are planning on getting the rest of your licenses with ATP, you will be able to do it in 6 months or so. If you are working with just about any mom and pop school, I can tell you that it will not happen that quickly, regardless of what they are telling you. Also, you are probably looking at more like 18 months to build your flight time up to the 1,500 hour mark.

Now, I do not have a crystal ball, but it seems like most people stay at the regionals between five and ten years. Yes, I think it is realistic for you to get on at a major at age 43 or even up to 50, after that it starts getting a little dicey. If you do n to have a college degree, you will need to get one for the majors.

Check out this article I wrote for information about pilot pay: https://airlinepilot.life/t/what-do-pilots-really-earn/ it will help answer your questions on pay.

There are always concerned about being furloughed, but that is true in any profession. I know many mid level management type people that work in the financial sector that were laid off after 2008, I have even known teachers to be laid off as school systems struggled with budget cuts. There are risks everywhere. That being said, right now the airline industry looks really healthy and is in pretty dire need of pilots.

I am glad you are doing your research, you definitely want to go into this career change knowing as much as possible.

Chris

Tyler,

I second everything Chris said. I would definitely figure on at least 18mos to build the 1500hrs. As for earning $100k at a Regional you’re talking SENIOR Capt pay (or maybe check pilot instructor). BUT, if getting to a Major is your goal, hopefully you’ll never get to those numbers because that means you’re there 10yrs +. While I agree any job has some volatility, ours does seem to be more vulnerable than others in certain aspects. Major terrorist attack, price of oil goes sky high and things can turn in a second. While the pilot shortage has been a good thing for most pilots (huge demand and pay increases), some Regionals are having such a hard time staffing that it’s jeopardizing the airlines existence.

I’m not trying to paint a dark picture but things can and sometimes do tank in this industry. Best to have your eyes open.

Adam

Good afternoon Adam & Chris,

First I would like to sincerely thank you both for taking the time out to answer all these questions. Your answers are so on point and thorough. Again, thank you.

I am a realist but like all of us I have my dreams too. I am in Telecom mgmt for 20 yrs. Kids have just grown and my industry is moving rapidly to new technology and automation as well as overseas labor. I just turned 53 and I have been reading some of your threads on this so I know it is a bit of a long shot . So let’s say in an ideal world 2.5 yrs in training plus 18 months to get to 1500hrs , so I’m 57 applying to a Regional . and can only offer 7- 8 years with them . I would have no chance of a Major and would be perfectly happy with any Regional any location . What are my chances , all else being equal, of a Regional interview with a shot or are they going to simply say 
too high risk 
low ROI . I believe I have what it takes but don’t want to be left holding the bag after such an investment if it truly is not realistic.

Thank you in advance
Brian

Brian,

First let’s adjust your numbers. If you’re serious about doing this time is obviously a huge factor and that means ATP for training which would bring your time for training down to 9mos and 2-2.5yrs TOTAL to be eligible for hire. So now you’re 55. That leaves you 10yrs left to fly which is not terrible. It also puts you in a better position to be hired by a Regional. The Regionals need pilots and one who stays 10yrs is definitely a better ROI than one who’s there 5. Definitely very realistic.

Adam

Thank you Sir and thanks for the numbers adjustment. That is huge and gives me hope. I agree the ATP immersion training would seem to be the most practical solution. I will be looking into this and the logistics needed to make this happen. I’m sure I’ll have a few more questions along the way.

Thank you
Brian

1 Like

Let me know what you find Brian! I’m in your same shoes :wink:

Best ,
Kimberly

1 Like

Will do.

Hi Kimberly,
I too want to pursue a career as a commercial pilot. I’m 45. Would love to be a support to each other! Good luck!!! We can do this!

Susan

Brian,
Wishing you the best too! I think we could have a number of great years in the industry. Regional is fine with me!

Susan

Hi,

I am brand new to the site and have a similar question as Kimberly’s. I just turned 49 and have had my PPL since 1992. I have about 600 TT and have always wanted to fly commercially. I would like to know the reality of whether an airline will be willing to hire me once I get my ATP.

I am not sure if things have changed since this post started or not but I would welcome advice from anyone here.

-Eddie

Eddie,

This should help answer your question: https://airlinepilot.life/t/am-i-too-old-to-be-an-airline-pilot/8062/

Chris

I am only left with a year to complete High School so can I gain admission to ATP right after high school?

Vincent,

To be eligible to apply for ATP you will need one of the following:

1. Two years of college
  2. Two years of work experience
  3. A Private Pilot license

So unless you have your PPL, you will not be able to go to ATP straight out of high school.

Chris