Age and commercial pilot goal

Let me know what you find Brian! I’m in your same shoes :wink:

Best ,
Kimberly

1 Like

Will do.

Hi Kimberly,
I too want to pursue a career as a commercial pilot. I’m 45. Would love to be a support to each other! Good luck!!! We can do this!

Susan

Brian,
Wishing you the best too! I think we could have a number of great years in the industry. Regional is fine with me!

Susan

Hi,

I am brand new to the site and have a similar question as Kimberly’s. I just turned 49 and have had my PPL since 1992. I have about 600 TT and have always wanted to fly commercially. I would like to know the reality of whether an airline will be willing to hire me once I get my ATP.

I am not sure if things have changed since this post started or not but I would welcome advice from anyone here.

-Eddie

Eddie,

This should help answer your question: https://airlinepilot.life/t/am-i-too-old-to-be-an-airline-pilot/8062/

Chris

I am only left with a year to complete High School so can I gain admission to ATP right after high school?

Vincent,

To be eligible to apply for ATP you will need one of the following:

1. Two years of college
  2. Two years of work experience
  3. A Private Pilot license

So unless you have your PPL, you will not be able to go to ATP straight out of high school.

Chris

Hi Kim! How did it go? I am 43 and thinking on becoming pilot as well. I hear that women have an advantage because a certain amount of females need to be hired?. Did you finally go for it? are you working as a pilot? tell us more!

Maria,

Not sure where you heard that myth but there are no quotas at the airlines. The airlines need well trained qualified pilots. If you have the licenses, ratings and hours you’ll get hired if not you won’t. Gender, race etc are not part of the equation.

Adam

I believe is related to labor law…

Thank you, Adam. You beat me to the answer :grinning:

Best ,

Kimberly

Which law is that cause I’ve never seen nor heard of it? This is not flipping burgers it’s commercial aviation. Do you honestly believe that there’s a law that requires airlines to hire female pilots? If so the law is clearly not being followed since women make up about 5% of the current airline pilot group.

Adam

1 Like

She may be referring to Affirmative Action. I think Affirmative Action laws are generally only forced on government run businesses, but any company with government contracts is subject to it, and many private companies use them for positive publicity. I know JetBlue has an Affirmative Action policy in place, and I’m sure there are others. These policies, on the surface, simply promote equal opportunity. In reality and in practice, it frequently turns into putting resources into recruiting and retaining minority and female employees in order to check the diversity box.

ETA: American Airlines also has an Affirmative Action policy in place.

1 Like

Really? I was already practicing at Mc Donalds! I didn’t say there is a law specifically for airlines but a labor (labor in general) law. And the fact that there are only 5% women, doesn’t mean the law is not being followed. That may be because there are not enough female pilots. But I find out more about it.

You may be right. I’ll find out exactly.

As Peter pointed out Afirm Action laws are for govt agencies and many private companies (including airlines) have “policies” (not laws) in place to ensure fair hiring practices and more important prohibit discrimination. That said I’ve participated in hiring at both the airlines I’ve worked for and I can tell you from my experience NO ONE is getting any preferential treatment. While you may have taken offense to my fast food comment the vast majority of the population can make fries, not the same can be said for flying airplanes. People always make the argument “if there are 2 equally qualified applicants” but the truth is there are no 2 equally qualified applicants. Everyone is unique. Regardless my only point is AGAIN if you’re qualified, have no blemishes on your record and can conduct yourself in an interview you’ll get hired if not you won’t and if you think that your gender is going to give you a leg up on someone else you may find yourself disappointed.

I’d like to believe that you’d want to work hard and be the best applicant you could be and be hired based on your merits and strengths vs anything else.

Adam

1 Like

Adam, I didn’t take offense to your fast food comment. Actually, Mc Donalds was my first job when I was 16 while I was going to school because I wanted to make my own money. What is really annoying is you condescendant attitude, that is all.

Maria,

Not sure where you think I was being condescending but that was not my intent. Simply telling you the facts based on my experience in the industry vs hearsay.

Adam

3 Likes

I have enjoyed reading all of the age posts - I am 52 years young and female. I retired 12/17 from federal law enforcement and started a second career as a flight attendant for a regional airline 1/18. I have always been interested in flying and decided to see what the industry was like. Now I really want to become a pilot!! I am realistic about my pilot career with a regional carrier and the mandatory retirement age of 65. I want the fasted path possible, hoping my current regional airline will pick me up as a pilot once I complete flight school. I plan on taking all of the required written tests and medical prior to attending flight school, I have read this will help ease the work load a little while in training. My questions are which schools offer the fasted path to regionals and how soon should I start talking to the school about registration - I would like to start flight school 1/19.